To-clip briefly frozen during transition

trhaynes

Still playing with transitions. :-) In my project, all of the transitions freeze the To-clip (Clip B) briefly during the transition. The out-clip (Clip A) continues and fades out fine, but Clip B freezes the video (audio is fine) for about half of the transition.

Any ideas on what may be going wrong?

This can occur if there is no excess video available from the original clip.

i.e., applying a two-second transition requires the FROM clip to begin fading out one second from its end, but if there's no video left in that clip at the zero point then it must freeze.

Same idea on the TO clip. Try to have sufficient video on both clips to accommodate the full length of the transition.

If that's not possible, you might shorten the transition to minimize the freeze. Or even overlap the video tracks and fade one out while the other fades in (and A/B roll).

Hi

This "freezing" is normal as it keeps the total length of the sequence the same. The first frame of Clip 2 is held while Clip 1 fades out and the last frame of Clip 1 is held while Clip 2 fades in. It is most obvious with two clips having a lot of movement, but is perfect with still images.

If you want a perfect cross fade with video clips where this behavior is annoying it means shortening the sequence slightly. Clip2 is placed on the overlay track and dragged back a little to overlap track 1 and a Fade-in is applied to Clip 2 for the duration of the overlap.

Nat

Hi

You have to have both clips on the same track to fully use any transition correctly but you can fade- in/fade-out a clip whichever track it is on. Borate and myself have looked at this in one of your earlier posts and I think this might work for you. It's pretty straightforward and you don't have to splt or unlink anything as we initially thought It's not 100% but it IS workable......

Place both clips together on Video Track 1

Pull up Clip 2 to the overlay track and drag it left for the full duration of any transition (e.g. 4 seconds)

Add the circle transition to Clip 1 for 4 seconds

Add a fade into Clip 2 using the f button that is on the clip. Make it 4 seconds.

Clip 2 will now fade in through the circle transition.

Sound tracks can be faded in/out as required.

Everything remains in sync

Nat

That worked like a champ, Nat! I was wary of using the overlay track because I was piecing together about 30 clips and I had nightmare visions of the overlay track growing up and up and up with each overlay. Then I realized I could just flip between overlay and track 1, and back and forth, to do the fading. That make the project much cleaner, and I love the fading with the shape transition.

Thanks a million! :D :D