Cross fade audio with shape transition

trhaynes

Hi there,

I'm new to VideoPad, but so far am enjoying it. I have Version 4.48.

I would like to crossfade two video clips but have a shape animated performed during the audio crossfade. Is this possible? For instance, I'd like to have the audio crossfade but show the Heart or Start animation during the transition.

Thanks!

Apply the video effect in the usual manner. Stack and overlap the audio tracks as shown...with track 1 fading out as track 2 fades in.

To create the fades double-click the first audio file, then right-click in the preview window and choose FADE OUT. Do the same with track two but FADE IN.

Fade length can be changed by dragging the keyframes (dots) on the blue line to the left or right.

Split.jpg

Hi

Borate's solution will work but unless I am mistaken, after adding the effect transition to the video you will have to unlink the sound track on Clip 2, pull it down to Audio Track 2 and then to the left so it overlaps the Audio of Clip 1. Then you can add your fades. This means that the Audio for Clip two will be out of sync. If you are using Music this probably won't matter. The problem here is that you can't simply place your Clip 2 onto the overlay track and have an animated transition between the two clips on the different tracks.

There is a partial solution. Put your clips together on Video track 1.

Drag clip2 up to the overlay track and to the left a little. (giving a suitable overlap....say 2-3 seconds.

Using the prompt buttons under the preview screen move the red cursor line to the left end of Clip2.

Now split Video track1 (Video only)

Delete the cut off portion

Unlink the audio from Clip2

Now drag Clip 2 back down to the Video track 1

You should now have the audio tracks overlapped but both still in sync.

Apply the fade-out and fade-in to the overlap in the audio tracks as Borate suggests.

Apply your circle transition to the Clips.

As I said this is only a partial solution as the audio crossfade only happens half way through the transition but it might be better than nothing.

(Much later...)

Better solution...See below

Nat

Sync probably isn't an issue with discrete audio tracks, but should it be here's something else to test...

Drag the unlinked audio clip two directly up to the overlay track. Then extend the borders of both clips to create the overlap, if sufficient video is available from the original clip.

i.e., drag the left border of clip two to the left a second or so, and drag the right border of clip one to the right, to create the overlap. That way, sync should not be disturbed because clip placement hasn't been altered.

HI Borate

That's exactly the step I mention in my post although I suggested making the overlap with just clip 2, (nevertheless the end positions are the same so we are thinking along the same lines.

The difficulty here is that trhaynes wants to apply a circular (or similar) transition to the two clips which now are on different tracks and that can't be done.

Applying the transition to Clip 1 will only apply it (for its complete duration) to the end of clip1. As there is nothing above this until the overlay kicks in, it shows only a black circle getting larger. As soon as the cursor line reaches the start of Clip 2 the transition has finished and Clip 2 appears in its entirety.

This, I think is much better.. Not100% but much better...

Place both clips together on the timeline

Pull up clip 2 to the overlay track and drag it left for the full duration of any transition (e.g. 4 seconds)

Add the circle transition to Clip 1 for 4 seconds

Add a fade in using the f button to Clip2 for 4 seconds

Clip 2 will fade in through the circle transition.

Sound tracks can be faded in/out as required.

Nat

Hi

" trhaynes just wants to apply an A/B transition together with audio cross fade (without all these painfull processes described above) .".

...and you are correct VP won't support it but it was a possible solution.

However...painful is a bit harsh :) I don't think they are particularly painful per se..just a bit phaffy. :-) Depending on your viewpoint part of the enjoyment of editing is finding a way of doing something with the tools available.

Earlier versions of VP DID (or at least appeared to,) cross-fade the sound tracks when a transition was applied. (You could also displace the transition left or right so that each clip could have a different proportion of the transition.) but neither of these actions is now available.

Who knows, NCH may have a look and implement something.

Nat

Hi,

Yes, I can see there's room to improve for making transitions easier.

What do you think about:

1. Add an option to automatically adjust the start/end point of the clips such that no freeze during the transition.
  2. Add an option to automatically apply crossfade to audio.

An audio crossfade option would be a plus.

For video it would be handy if two types of transitions were available - crossfade (no overall timing change) and overlap, which overcomes the 'freeze' scenerio - but timing is shortened as the two clips play over each other.

Allowing placement of the transition - before, on (as it is now) or after the cut point would also be useful.

Hi

Check the earlier VP versions 2.xx The ends of the transition could be dragged left or right to off-set it with respect to the cut. (It still had to be on the join of course.) Currently it is fixed centrally over the join.

The overall length of the two clips stayed the same as it does now. I found this useful where the clips contained a lot of noticeable movement and the still image(s) became quite obvious. Changing the position of the transition around the join would reduce duration of this effect for at least one of the still images

The introduction of an overlay track meant one could create a "proper" cross-fade by overlapping the clips ( I say "proper" as in the days of actual film my camera could be faded out, wound back and the next scene faded in. In effect the film was overlapped.

The problem as demonstrated by this thread is the inability to add transition across the clips on different tracks. trhaynes seemed satisfied with the suggestions made to overcome this.

I would suggest that the current cross-fade effect is kept but a "proper" crossfade (dissolve) is designed so that , with both clips on the same track, all one has to do is to grab Clip 2 and drag it left over Clip[ 1. Some visual marker, cross hatching/colour bar, being created to show the extent of the overlap and within the overlap the transparency of clip1 being increased from 0 to 100%.

Once the effect has been created the dissolve could be split automatically in the centre to allow a shape transition to be added over the join if required.

Nat

Hi

"Check the earlier VP versions 2.xx The ends of the transition could be dragged left or right to off-set it with respect to the cut. (It still had to be on the join of course.) Currently it is fixed centrally over the join."

Just noticed that V4.48 will allow you to drag the ends of the transition in or out but unlike the earlier versions when it was an orange bar. the transition could be de-centred by moving one end more than the other.

Now when you do this it simply remains centred but changes its duration..... which can easily be done by clicking the X button and entering a different value into the duration box or continuing on to the transition properties box and changing it there.

I appreciate that dragging the ends of the transition is a "visual" way of changing its duration but why not re-introduce the de-centering action the program used to have and have the additional feature?

Nat

Hi,

We are working on a solution which will satisfy these requirements:

1. Option for overlap clips in transition (no freeze frame)
  2. Be able to adjust the the portion of the clip inside transition area
  3. Option for automatically cross fading audio

Be able to adjust the the portion of the clip inside transition area

After consideration we decided not to do this. Because it's confusing especially for new users. It was removed from 2.xx for the same reason.

We'll always overlay clips in transitions. It is rare that anyone would want freeze frames in transitions. We'll keep the currently middle cut as an option just to compatible with old projects. If custom cut is needed it can be done by inserting screenshots as freeze frames.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts.