v4.49 Save audio as file problem

udokupsch

Hi everybody,

I have cutted a clip and now need to save the audio from one of those parts for editing.

I have unlinked the audio from video and tried to save it via context menu.

But it saves the audio from the whole clip, which is really big. I only need this small part to be saved.

As far as I remember, in the previous version it was possible to do this.

So - how can I save a small part of the audio into a file?

I hope I could made clear what I am trying to do.

Regards

Udo

So - how can I save a small part of the audio into a file?

One method...

Select the audio clip

Right-click on it and SAVE AUDIO CLIP AS NEW FILE

In the media window, under the audio tab, click on the file you just created

Drag the red START [ and blue END ] sliders to select the portion that is to be exported

Open a new segment by clicking the + sign that's to the right of the SEGMENT tab, just above the left side of the time line

Use the PLACE green button to place the selected audio segment on the time line

Export

HI

Alternative.....Might be simpler... :-)

Put full clip on the timeline.

Edit it as required so as to leave the section with your audio. Close any gaps.

Don't bother to unlink it.

Click the Sequence tab on the top tool bar and then the "New sequence" option.

This clears all the timeline.

Open the Sequence bin and right click the clip.

Select "Save Sequence Audio as a New File"

Audio selection has now been saved to your default folder.

Nat

Thanks for your replies, borat and nationalsolo, but it seems the projectfile is messed up.

I will try to complete it as good as I can and then start with a fresh project and try it again. I´m still learning to use video pad, working with sequences seems to make the whole process easier :)

Hi udo

It's a good idea to save your project on a regular basis.

Click "File" and save your project using "Save Project File As"

Use an incremental name each time....e.g. My Project -1 My Project -2 My Project-3 etc.

This will ensure that you will have a vpj file (project file) that you can load back into VP if things go wrong.

(Don't use "Save Project File" as this will overwrite the previous file unless you are happy for this to happen.

Also keep all your component clips in the same place on your PC as you work otherwise VP may have some difficulty in reconstructing a saved project should you have to go back.

Nat

Hey Nat, thanks for your advice :)

My saves usually depict my workflow. The project with all raw files, first step is to make a rough cut, remove everything that´s obviously not wanted and order the scenes. Those saves I usually name "project_rough_01".

Next step is to watch the whole thing, delete and shorten clips, rearange a little and eventually put some text in. Depending on the length of the raw material, I sometimes end up with LOTS of cuts.. Saving name is like "project_cutting_01".

Unless I have messed up my work and wonder what the heck I am doing, I usually do one last step, adding Intro, editing sound, adding music, maybe some more ticker text and an outro.

In this case I think I have worked too fast for the amount of cuts I´ve made. VP seems to need some time to "settle" between certain steps? I have worked down raw material with some 3 hours down to about 8 minutes, maybe that´s too much and I should split a big project into 2 smaller ones? Do you have experienced similar situations?

I have still to figure out the traps and *dont´s* of VP, but overall it looks like a solid and stable piece of software.

Thanks again for your reply :)

Regards

Udo

Hi Udo

If your project is a long one then (as well as regularly saving it as you complete sections) you could think about completing a section, doesn't have to be all of it, Save the project and then click the Sequence button and select New Sequence. This creates what in effect is a complete clip of your work so far as a Sequence which will be in the Sequence bin.

This action will clear the timeline and you can continue with the project from that point without having all the clips present that you have already worked on. If you work in short sections like this you can, at some point load back the saved sequences to view the whole job.

The drawback to using sequences in this way is that they are now Single Clips and if you decide to change them you will have to re-cut them.

Nat