Lock together two video tracks

rpiola

Is it possible to lock the relative position of two clips in different video tracks.

let's see an example:

- I place video clip #1 (10") on track 1, at 0'

- I place a second clip (#2) on track 1, at 10" (immediately after clip#1)

- I place a text clip (#3) on track 2, at 11", with the intent that the text should appear overlayed to clip #2, a little bit after clip starts

- then I shorten video clip#1 to 8" working on the storyboard... clip #2 moves it start from 10" to 8", but text clip#3 stays at 11"... there is now a gap that is too long between start of clip#2 and appearance of text#3 ...

- there should be a way to lock text clip#3 to appear 1" after video clip#2 starts, so that when we move video#2, also text#3 moves around.

HI

Just to confirm what you have done....

"..... I place video clip #1 (10") on track 1, at 0'

- I place a second clip (#2) on track 1, at 10" (immediately after clip#1)

- I place a text clip (#3) on track 2, at 11", with the intent that the text should appear overlayed to clip #2, a little bit after clip starts

- then I shorten video clip#1 to 8" working on the storyboard... clip #2 moves it start from 10" to 8",......"

So far so good. On coming back to Timeline mode Clip 1 has shortened and clip 2 has moved back to join it.( I don't get a gap.)

"...but text clip#3 stays at 11"... there is now a gap that is too long between start of clip#2 and appearance of text#3 ..."

Correct. Text clip 3 has not moved. consequently it now starts later than it it did.

There are two solutions............

What you should have done is this....

The first is..... Having set up your two clips plus the text clip...

Press the SHIFT key and left click on clip 2 to select it. Keeping the SHIFT key pressed, right click the text clip.

This will open a menu. Select the top option.."Group selected clips"

This will group Clip 2 and the Text clip together.

Now shorten the duration of Clip 1 in Storyboard mode as you did.. On coming back to timeline view you will now see that BOTH Clip2 and the Text clip have stayed together and moved back in time so keeping their relative position

This follows most of the moves you have described..

But why not do it this way...

Put Clip 1 and Clip 2 on Video Track 1and the text clip on Track2 positioned after the start of Clip 2...Your starting position.

Grab the right hand end of Clip 1 and drag it to the left so it now has the desired length. When you release it Clip 2 as well as the text clip will move automatically to the left to fill the gap

Note you haven't linked them and no gap is produced.

Nat