VideoPad installation Path ??

seashell

Hi Members,

Can someone kindly point to where VideoPad's installation path is located? I searched under "Program Files" as well as "Program Files (x86)" and found nothing. Would like to know how this program installs itself. Reason I'm asking is that every time I load a project, VideoPad says it can't find 99% of the files. Been working on a project for awhile and suddenly it won't load anymore. I downloaded the free version (ver: 4.48) and enjoy working with the program.

VideoPad says that the free version is for non-commercial use but it acts strange under normal commands. An example would be saving the project. When I open it again, a window pops up that says it can't find many of my files. The only files it will load from a previous project are the ones I created in the scrolling text area. Thus my assumption is that I need to install all my pics, vids and movie files inside the VideoPad installation folder in order for VideoPad to re-load them or find them. But I can't find the installation path?

Also the scrolling text edit box acts strange. I change the font size but nothing happens. Font remains the same size.

Thank you kindly for your help.

The VP installer should set up everything for you under Program Files (x86)/NCH Software/VideoPad.

Clear the VP cache, under OPTIONS|GENERAL and try your project again. Or uninstall VP via Wiindows Programs and Features and reinstall.

If the file locations of your prior project have been changed, VP may not be able to find them - though it may prompt for a manual search.

To avoid this, use FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO A FOLDER, which will pack them all into a single folder along with the VPJ file that will load the project.

Thank you Borate.

The VP installer should set up everything for you under Program Files (x86)/NCH Software/VideoPad.

Interesting, the last time I went to "Program Files (x86)/NCH Software/VideoPad", the VideoPad file was empty. Now I see the following files:

ffmpeg19.exe

mp3e12.exe

videopad.exe

videopadsetup_v4.48.exe

Also saw the Components Folder as well under "Program Files (x86)/NCH Software" which also contained files.

Clear the VP cache, under OPTIONS|GENERAL and try your project again. Or uninstall VP via Wiindows Programs and Features and reinstall.

Ok done! However the option to "clear unused cache files" is located under Tools/Options/Disk (in v.4.48).

If the file locations of your prior project have been changed, VP may not be able to find them - though it may prompt for a manual search.

To avoid this, use FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO A FOLDER, which will pack them all into a single folder along with the VPJ file that will load the project.

Is there a preferred file location for "BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO A FOLDER"? How will videopad find and load my folder if I simply create a random folder titled "VideoPad Projects" and place it in say.."My Documents"? Should I create a folder titled, "VideoPad Projects" and place this folder "inside" the official "Program Files (x86)/NCH Software/VideoPad"? Or does VideoPad simply scan all my computer folders for a .vpj which when found, triggers the load process?

Thank you

Is there a preferred file location for "BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO A FOLDER"? How will videopad find and load my folder if I simply create a random folder titled "VideoPad Projects" and place it in say.."My Documents"? Should I create a folder titled, "VideoPad Projects" and place this folder "inside" the official "Program Files (x86)/NCH Software/VideoPad"? Or does VideoPad simply scan all my computer folders for a .vpj which when found, triggers the load process?

Create a unique folder for the back up, so VP files don't get mixed with others and name it what you will. A sensible location might be under "c:\Users\<your PC name>\My Documents\VideoPad Projects" ...

In VP, click FILE|OPEN PROJECT. Locate that folder and open the VPJ file that it contains. That should load your project and its associated files.

Excellent Borate. Yes it loads my projects now. Thank you.

Also, what exactly is contained in the .vpj file? I guess my issue originally was "How to Save a Project". Prior to this post, I would simply save my project by clicking, "Save Project File As..." and simply give it a name. But apparently the pictures and other media that were contained in the file are not saved inside this .vpj file? Is that the reason why when I tried to reload the project a window would pop-up saying cannot locate files? If so, what is the proper way to save a project aside from utilizing the " FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO A FOLDER" which I noticed saves everything -including all media- to my specified folder location?

The VPJ file contains pointers to the media files and other elements of the project. SAVE AS will do the job if the media has not been moved from its original location/s.

This isn't a concern if BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO A FOLDER is used, because all files are placed in the single folder where the associated VPJ file can access them.

Check this out.

The VPJ file contains pointers to the media files and other elements of the project. SAVE AS will do the job if the media has not been moved from its original location/s.

That explains it! All the media for my project was originally accessed from a jump drive. The jump drive was removed from the USB port.

This isn't a concern if BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO A FOLDER is used, because all files are placed in the single folder where the associated VPJ file can access them.

Yes, I understand now.

Check this out.

Excellent! Thank you Borate

• 1 month later...

Hello Borate,

. . . . I am also considering buying VideoPad. It passed my first test. I have two questions that kind of fall under this topic. The first one is: Is there a way to install VideoPad on a different drive or in a different folder? My programs go on an entirely different drive in a different folder. I really don't like not being able to choose where I want to install a program. My boot drive is only 250GB. My Apps drive is 1TB.

. . . . The second question is: Is there a .PDF manual for VideoPad? This is a very important element for me.

Thanks,

Richard R. Pope

1230 19th Street #5

Reedsburg, WI 53959

608-768-7448

mechanic_2@charter.net

Hi

"The second question is: Is there a .PDF manual for VideoPad?"

If you click the "Help" tab on the top toolbar or press the PC function key F1, you will obtain the manual. This is web page based and not a pdf file. As each subject has its own page and each item is dealt with individually, often in only a short paragraph, it would be time consuming and wasteful to print it out. It works well all the same even though fine detail is lacking.

Nat