Transitions went bad?

cpsmith58

2 questions actually

1) If I have Video A and Video B, and I want a circle transition, do I put it on A or B

2) My project was fine, but it got wacky and I rebooted (after saving). Now the transitions that were perfect are now not working, many are simply hard cuts.

What happened, how do I fix it and how do I avoid it in the future?

Thanks

Looks like I put the transition on A? Correct me if I'm wrong

Reading other posts got me to the point where I looked at the transition time period in the lower right, they had all changed to various very low values. I did not do that.

What did? Now I have to go back and change every transition time to 2 seconds. Is there a batch way to do that?

If A is the first clip and your intent is to circle effect it to the second clip, B, click the X transition icon that's in the A clip.

Can't say why transitions were lost, but suggest that you save your project frequently, with FILE|SAVE AS (not FILE|SAVE).

Increment a number for it each time, so as to not overwrite earlier versions. Project 1, project 2, project 3, etc.

To insert multiple transitions, first select (highlight) the appropriate clips. Then click TRANSITION/S in the menu or the toolbar (not on an X in the timeline clip) and click on the desired transition.

You should be prompted to APPLY TO ALL or APPLY TO ONE. All will be the same duration - the length shown in Transition Properties box at the left-bottom of the transition window..

Hi

"1) If I have Video A and Video B, and I want a circle transition, do I put it on A or B"

Click the X button that is BETWEEN the two clips in question.

Note that the duration of the transition is not shown in the list window until it has been placed in position or the X button clicked when a transition has already been added at that point in the sequence. It will have the default value that is shown under...

Tools-Options-Editing

This can be a bit annoying if you have to put in a transition and then go through the process again to alter its length. I can't see why NCH are not able to add the Transition properties boxes when the X is clicked the first time, taking the default values which one could change with one move.

Add multiple transitions exactly as Borate describes but note that if you select ALL the clips including the last one (which seems a natural thing to do), the last clip will transition to black but the action will be of the default length on that clip....not 1/2 as long as with the other clips.

Nat.

I can't see why NCH are not able to add the Transition properties boxes when the X is clicked the first time, taking the default values which one could change with one move.

I just realised we are not doing this, thanks for bringing it up.