Distorted platback

garryb

Hi

After recording, playback through Focusrite Solo is distorted. However if I change settings and playback through speakers play back sound is good.

Previously playback through Focusrite has been good. Just started a new project and this happens. As far as I know all the settings are correct.

Sorry title should read Playback

Hi garryb,

A couple of quick questions:

1. Does the distortion occur only on the louder parts of your recording or is it at a constant level throughout?

2. Is the main project dB meter (bottom right hand corner of the main window) staying below 0dB when you are playing back?

3. If you play old projects (which you know used to playback fine) through the Focusrite, do you get the same distortion?

Regards,

Ben

Hi Ben

In response to your questions:

1. distortion is constant throughout

2. yes

3. yes same distortion, previously they played fine.

Since I posted my question I have found out there is a Focusrite control panel which I found after clicking on 'options' button, the general tab, click on the spanner icon. The Focusrite control panel has three options recording-balanced-mixing the balanced option was selected. It makes no difference to the distortion which option is selected.

Also in the control panel is 'Asio default sample rate' which was set at 44100 and also 'Asio default buffer size' which was set at 256 samples. The control panel also tells me the 'Asio input latency is 16.5ms, the 'Asio output latency' is 16.5ms and the 'Asio total latency' is 32.9ms

thanks

Garry

Hi Garry,

Do you get distortion playing other formats of media via other media players (eg. playing an mp3 files through Windows Media Player, itunes etc)?

If you have a built in sound card on your computer, have you tried using that? If so, do you still get distortion?

Regards,

Ben

Hi Ben

No, other music plays fine for example through WMP. If I play what I have recorded in Mixpad with the Focusrite unplugged then the recordings play fine. After having several more attempts at sorting the problem I think it is not really that the recording is distorted on playback through the Focusrite but it is just very noisy little bit hard to tell the dB meter is not peaking out

thanks

Garry

Hi Garry,

Just a thought, but USB interfaces (like the Focusrite) can be very susceptible to line noise. This can be especially noticeable if you have microphones without well shielded cables plugged in to the interface. To eliminate this possibility I would suggest unplugging any cables not necessary for playback from the Focusrite and then make sure all the volume pots for the inputs are turned to 0. If this results in improved sound quality then your problem is likely to be interference from the cables.

Regards,

Ben

Hi Ben

I think I may have found a solution to the problem. After a lot of looking around on the Focusrite site I found that the interface should be connected to a USB 3.0 port if the computer has an AMD processor (that's me). So I have done this and everything seems fine (so far).

Thanks for your help

Garry