How to Panning while zoomed?

Vespertine32

I am currently learning a few visual tricks with videopad professional, i am working on a project which requires me to pan accross a zoomed in section of a video however i do not know which effect it is.

I tried using and combining zoom (and crop) and position effects but i could not get the effect i want. I managed to position a zoomed in portion of a video to make a 'pan' effect but the screen ends at the corner of the zoomed section and showing only black background.

I hope my description is clear enough, i also posted a video on youtube for better explaination of my failed attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM9Swoe1biA

Click the green + (top-left), choose ZOOM or CROP and create that effect.

Then click the green + again and choose POSITION.

Click the 3-lined icon that's just to the right of the word "horizontal" and click RESET. (Or click the squiqqly-line that just to the right of the 3-lined box. A solid vertical line should appear to the right.)

Move the red-lined scrubber that's in the graph all the way to the left.

Position the mouse pointer in the PREVIEW window and it will become a double-arrow cross. Hold down the left mouse button and drag your image off-screen to the left.

Click the small green + sign in the menu bar, just above the graph area. This sets the starting position keyframe.

Now position the scrubber all the way to the right in the graph area.

Again using the mouse pointer in the PREVIEW window, drag the image off-screen to the right. That should create the end position keyframe. If not, just click the smaller green + again.

In lieu of dragging the preview image, you can move the sliders or even drag the keyframe dots that are in the effect box. This is approximately what the graph should display...

VP_crop_move.jpg

Hi

This is very similar to a problem another user had some days ago (See Panorama Pan) ...Using Borate's images as a guide you should be able to follow.........Here is my reply.....

"Your panoramic image obviously will not have a 16:9 aspect ratio and so once loaded to the media list or placed onto the sequence track will have a chequered area at both top and bottom which is normal.

Start by clicking the FX button at the left end of the image on the sequence track.

In the Effects pane that comes up click the green cross and select Zoom. (You will have to zoom in to remove the chequered areas and then use zoom in animation to move along the image)

Click the Restraint box and select 16:9 to keep the zoomed clip in normal AR

Slide the red cursor to the start position for your pan (e.g.left hand end)

Open the keyframe pane (if not already open) and slide the red cursor to the left to indicate you are at the start of the clip.

The main Clip preview pane on the right will now show a rectangle with corner and side handles on your image clip. Pull the sides or ends to change the size of the rectangle and move it by dragging so that it displays the start area for your Pan.You may have to undock your preview pane (top right hand corner arrow) to adjust and see the position of the rectangle more easily.

Once in position click all four of the animation line buttons at the right of the effects panel.(Little graph lines with a dot on them) This will show horizontal lines for each parameter in thekeyframe space.

Now click the "Add keyframe to current postion" button..The green cross at top of keyframe panel. This will add small markers to each of the keyframe lines fixing the start rectangle.

Slide the cursor along to the end position for your pan (e.g. right hand end)

Grab your rectangle in the clip review pane and drag it to the end position for your pan. Dont alter its size -just position.

Click the green cross again to fix the keyframe (probably be already marked)

Close the effects panel

Play the image clip,It should now pan from left to right.

Alter the speed by dragging out the ends of the image clip to make it longer or alter the duration of the clip from the Storyboard option."

Nat

Thank you for the reply.

Just to be clear, i made a simple storyboard of what im trying to achieve.

bpLvet8.jpg

So far, what im getting is a zoomed in view of the text however when i try to use position and animation, the zoomed section will pan but is cut off, as seen here: https://www.youtube....h?v=hM9Swoe1biA.

@Nationalsolo, i think your solution is what im looking for, however im not quite sure and is currently stuck on this part (bolded part of the quote), i had a few practice with animating an image so im sure i know how to use the graph lines with dots on them.

This is what my interface looks like: http://i.imgur.com/K95Qna3.png

"The main Clip preview pane on the right will now show a rectangle with corner and side handles on your image clip. Pull the sides or ends to change the size of the rectangle and move it by dragging so that it displays the start area for your Pan.You may have to undock your preview pane (top right hand corner arrow) to adjust and see the position of the rectangle more easily.

Once in position click all four of the animation line buttons at the right of the effects panel.(Little graph lines with a dot on them) This will show horizontal lines for each parameter in thekeyframe space.

Now click the "Add keyframe to current postion" button..The green cross at top of keyframe panel. This will add small markers to each of the keyframe lines fixing the start rectangle.

Slide the cursor along to the end position for your pan (e.g. right hand end)

Grab your rectangle in the clip review pane and drag it to the end position for your pan. Dont alter its size -just position.

Click the green cross again to fix the keyframe (probably be already marked)

Close the effects panel

Play the image clip,It should now pan from left to right.

Alter the speed by dragging out the ends of the image clip to make it longer or alter the duration of the clip from the Storyboard option."

Hi

OK. I think we can see what you want to acheive. You can treat what you want to do in either of two ways....

1) First zoom into the left hand edge of the image to enlarge the text and then pan to the right.

2) Zoom into the text AND pan right at the same time.

The first option would seem more logical.

So first of all.

Add the image file to the VP media list and then drag/drop it onto the timeline. (Video track 1) It will now appear in the Sequence Preview pane at the upper right.

Select the image clip on the sequence line and click the button marked FX at the left end. This opens the Effects pane.

Click the green cross and select Zoom from the list of effects. The Preview pane will now change to Clip Preview and will have a rectangle superimposed on it which represents the zoom area. You can undock this pane to make it larger if you wish by clicking the top right hand corner.

Retain the 16:9 aspect ratio by selecting this option from the drop down menu associated with the "Restraint" box.

Click all four buttons marked with the short graph line...Borate has marked them "Squiggly lines"

Now click the small green cross which has lit up to set the first key frame markers.

The next step is to move the red cursor line along the preview screen or along the effects keyframe pane to a point where you wish the zoom-in action to stop before you start to pan.

Now adjust the size of the rectangle on the preview pane by dragging in the sides or the top and bottom markers so you are outlining the left hand end of your text in the end of zoom condition. You can drag the rectangle about to cover the area to be enlarged. You will see that the keyframe lines move up and down reflecting the position you arrive at. When you are satisfied you are outlining the enlarged section of your text click the small green cross again to fix a second key frame.

Slide the red cursor along to the end of your text and then drag the marking rectangle in the preview pane along to the right so it outlines the end of the text. Dont move the side or end handles as you don't want to alter the amount of zoom. Just drag the rectangle.

Click the green cross to fix the final key frame.

Close the effects pane and review the result.

If you want the zoom to commence after a few seconds instead of straight away then you can do this either by making your first keyframe just after the start of the clip or more easily by inserting the same clip before the zoomed clip and shortening it to the requiired duration. If you want the clip to pause before the pan then move the red scrubber bar to the frame where the pan starrts and again do a snapshot. Add this to the cursor position, or split the sequence at that point and insert the snapshot. Again you can shorten it to the desired duration.

VP Screen should look like this when effect has been added...

9cf0bb941fc0d80b7b2bc70096bed0dc.png

Nat

No, just the video or image file that has the text - that you dropped into VP and attempted to zoom and pan. Make it publicly viewable on the server so folks can access it.

The video is accesible here: https://www.dropbox....46-853.mp4?dl=0

This is a video of me viewing a post from a forum, the section which i want to zoom is the original post. (top post)

@NationalSolo, ill try out the method you posted in a few hours. I'll get back to you to let you know if im sucessful. Thanks a lot.

Hi

Yes! You seem to have got it work OK. Great! Remember, if you want it to pan slower along an image just drag one end of the image clip out to make it a longer clip on the timeline, or change the duration in storyboard mode. If it's a video clip of your text, on the other hand simply slow it down.

Nat