Video/audio delay when playing video in editor preview

serafin

Hello,

having used videopad V2.20 for quite a time I recently wanted to update to the newes version to be able to have more than one videotrack.

I installed the actual version 4.42 and encountered a serious problem:

Every time I press play in the sequence preview (or move the play cursor while playing) there is a delay of about 2 seconds with video frozen and no sound audible (although the peak meter displays), after which the video and audio play correctly in sync and smoothly.

The project is small, just one MOV-movie of about 3 minutes duration, no effects, no other video or audio track.

My computer runs on a Intel Core2 Quad cpu with 2.4 GHz and 3GB RAM and there is no noticeable cpu load when playing the video in the editor.

I got the strong suspicion that the problem has to do with the Windows XP operating system where I installed Videopad. With Win XP only DirectX9 can be installed, maybe that ist the cause of the delay.

I installed the same version of Videopad on another computer (weaker hardware) with Windows 7 as operating system and everything runs smoothely.

Do you have any idea what might cause the preview delay on Win XP systems and maybe a clue how this can be avoided?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Serafin

Hello Einstein,

thank you for your quick reply.

When I download and install the latest version from your web page, it still displays "Version 4.42" on the startup- and info screen. Where can I get the actual latest version 4.45?

I got Windows XP with service pack 3 installed.

I was able to narrow the issue down some more: The 2 seconds freezing whenever I press play in the editor (or move the play cursor while playing) does even occur with pure audio files:

When I load a mp3 audio file into the editor, drag it to the timeline and try to start it by pressing play, there is no sound for about 2 seconds although the peak meter displays audio playing.

Considering the fact that everything (video too) is playing smoothly after the initial 2 second freezing this seems to be more of a general problem of videopad with windows xp, not so much a performance issue of the codec.

One noticeable difference between videopad 2 (which doesn't have that issue) and the latest version is the ffmpeg19 folder along with the ffmpeg10 folder. Videopad 2 has only the ffmepg10 folder.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for you efforts so far

Yours

Serafin

Hello Einstein,

I tried the 4.45 version. Sorry, same effect.

Odd thing is that the freezing doesn't happen every time I start the preview or move the play cursor while playing, just most of the time. About one in five times the preview starts immediately and everything plays fine. But most of the time there is the 2 second freeze before the video starts playing and the sound is audible.

Do you have any recent experiences with vidoepad on windows xp operating systems?

Are there any config settings for vidoepad I could try to change?

Yours

Serafin

Hi,

Thanks for your effort to help us clarify the issue.

From what you've described, it sounds like an issue with the sound player. When playback for preview, VideoPad sync video to audio. So if audio was delayed, the video will delay too. This should have no effect on the final export result.

We have XP systems here but could not reproduce your issue. My best bet is to check your sound card driver make sure it's up to date.

Best Regards,

Hello Einstein,

thanks for your suggestion. I checked the sound driver, seems to be up to date (Mainboard: MSI P6N SLI Platinum with realtek onboard audio chip, Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6849).

Following your hint I tried with a video alone, without audio. I opened a 3 minutes MOV video, dragged it to the sequence, uncoupled the audio track and deleted it. Still the video freezes most of the time when playing back from the sequence or moving the play cursor while playing.

Maybe another hint:

I do have several audio editors installed on the same windows xp system without any lagging or freezing. And I used to play some quite hardware-intensive games (like the Witcher) on that system, also without video or audio problems.

Here are some system stats from dxdiag:

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3

System Manufacturer: FUJITSU SIEMENS Model: MS-7350VP

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)

Memory: 3072MB RAM

Page File: 672MB used, 4284MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTS 450

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 1024.0 MB

Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: Realtek HD Audio output

Default Sound Playback: Yes Default Voice Playback: Yes

Driver Name: RtkHDAud.sys Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6849 (English)

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

HW Accel Level: Full

Min/Max Sample Rate: 8000, 192000

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 33, 32

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 33, 32

HW Memory: 0

Registry: OK

I'm without a clue at the moment. Do you have any more suggestions?

Yours

Serafin

If you haven't done so already, upgrade to this NVidia video driver. It is appropriate for both 32- and 64-bit systems and may affect the behavior you are seeing.

If problems arise, roll back to the prior driver via CONTROL PANEL|DEVICE MGR|VIDEO ADAPTERS|<your adapter name>|DRIVERS tab.

When I was testing on XP, I did noticed the playback cursor sometimes jumps back about 1.5 seconds when start playing. The video will wait until the playback cursor moves back to start position.

This is an known XP specified DirectSound issue. Unfortunately it's a system inherent issue and we can't do much about it.

VideoPad activates sound player even when there is no audio to play. That's because the video preview playback is driven by the sound player to get A/V exactly sync.

Best Regards,

Hello,

I'm having the exact same issues and I'm running on windows 10

Here is a list of my specs for my computer:

=====================================

Computer Information:

Manufacturer: HP

Model: HP Notebook

Form Factor: Laptop

No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:

CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD

CPU Family: 0x16

CPU Model: 0x0

CPU Stepping: 0x1

CPU Type: 0x0

Speed: 1996 Mhz

4 logical processors

4 physical processors

HyperThreading: Unsupported

FCMOV: Supported

SSE2: Supported

SSE3: Supported

SSSE3: Supported

SSE4a: Supported

SSE41: Supported

SSE42: Supported

AES: Supported

AVX: Supported

CMPXCHG16B: Supported

LAHF/SAHF: Supported

PrefetchW: Supported

Network Information:

Network Speed:

Operating System Version:

Windows 10 (64 bit)

NTFS: Supported

Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:

Driver: AMD Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series

DirectX Driver Name: aticfx32.dll

Driver Version: 15.201.1101.0

DirectX Driver Version: 8.17.10.1404

Driver Date: 6 Aug 2015

OpenGL Version: 4.5

Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel

Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz

DirectX Card: AMD Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series

VendorID: 0x1002

DeviceID: 0x9830

Revision Not Detected

Number of Monitors: 1

Number of Logical Video Cards: 1

No SLI or Crossfire Detected

Primary Display Resolution: 1366 x 768

Desktop Resolution: 1366 x 768

Primary Display Size: 13.54" x 7.60" (15.51" diag)

34.4cm x 19.3cm (39.4cm diag)

Primary Bus Type Not Detected

Primary VRAM: 512 MB

Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:

Audio device: Speaker/HP (Realtek High Defini

Memory:

RAM: 3537 Mb

=====================================================

I currently have the latest VideoPad editor: 4.45.

If you need anymore info I'll be happy to supply.

Thanks in advance.

If you haven't done so already, upgrade to this NVidia video driver. It is appropriate for both 32- and 64-bit systems and may affect the behavior you are seeing.

If problems arise, roll back to the prior driver via CONTROL PANEL|DEVICE MGR|VIDEO ADAPTERS|<your adapter name>|DRIVERS tab.

I installed the latest nvidia driver without any change in the behaviour of videopad.

Yours

Serafin

When I was testing on XP, I did noticed the playback cursor sometimes jumps back about 1.5 seconds when start playing. The video will wait until the playback cursor moves back to start position.

This is an known XP specified DirectSound issue. Unfortunately it's a system inherent issue and we can't do much about it.

VideoPad activates sound player even when there is no audio to play. That's because the video preview playback is driven by the sound player to get A/V exactly sync.

Best Regards,

Hello Einstein,

that seems to be exactly the issue I'm encountering. But I never had those problems with videopad version 2 on windows xp.

Could you be a bit more specific about "sometimes jumps back"? I think there has to be a reason why this happens in some circumstances under windows xp and in others doesn't happen.

So it seems there is no known solution to this issue. I could provide a procmon log (windows sys internals) with all file and registry accesses during the 2 seconds between pressing play and the video actually starting to play, if this could be of any help.

Yours

Serafin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...