How to make speech easier to understand?

Xoron

I was wondering if there's a better way of enhancing understanding other than what I did before. My main problem currently is that when the person touches the microphone or breathes in it, it's extremely loud and I can't hear what he is saying in those moments. Is there a solution for that?

I tried restricing the allowed frequencies to 85-255Hz (as I read on Google that human speech is in that range) in order to remove random noise, but this removed too much from the speech as well.

Previous work. Can I do these things better?

The sound varied a lot as he sometimes talks into the microphone, sometimes walks away and sometimes the microphone touches something, which is very loud. This was resolved with "Normalise".

Static was reduced with spectral subtraction based on noise sample.

Hi Xoron,

By the sound of it, the problem with the recording is that the sound was too loud for the microphone and it has clipped the signal. Once this happens there is not much you can do to repair the signal - it simply doesn't contain the information contained in the original signal from the subject's voice. If the clipping is subtle then you can run the audio through a declipper filter which might help, but in this case it sounds as though the distortion is too severe and I doubt that will work.

Regards,

Ben