distortion

paulyb

I downloaded WavePad yesterday to record myself playing guitar with backing tracks streaming over the internet using the built in microphone on my computer. It comes out very, very distorted. If I record only my guitar playing, it comes out fine. If I record just the backing track, it comes out very distorted even if I turn the sound down on my computer speakers. So, it appears that it is recording the sound not from the speakers into the built in microphone on my computer, but directly from the internet. Is there any way I can cut down on the gain from the internet, or is there a way I can adjust the volume level with some sort of a VU meter on the program? Thanks.

Hello,

If you check on Wavepad > Options > Recording you should be able to locate the recording device the program is using. If the integrated Microphone is what you have selected as recording device then what you are playing through the speakers is being captured by the internal mic. If you are using the Stereo mix option in your Windows Audio options then you may want to try lowering the volume of the stream through the Windows Audio Mixer. Ultimately you may want to record each part individually (the guitar separated from the backing tracks).