Media list behaviour when adding clips

Nationalsolo

Hi NCH

Can you do anything about the fact that the media list continually scrolls the thumbnails back to the top when one is adding then to the timeline?

It's a bit annoying when you are adding them one or two at a time (and yes, I know you can add them en bloc but there may be clips you don't want to add precisely in chronological order) - to find that after each addition the thumbnail screen has scrolled back up to the first thubmnail again, even if all the ones displayed have already been added. It means that you have to scroll the window down again to see the next clip you want to add.

It would be much better if the media list stayed where it was after each addition.

Any comments?

Nat

Hi Nat,

The media list currently is in alphabet order. After adding a new clip it will automatically scroll to where the new clip is. For example if the new clip started with 'a' it will scroll to the beginning. It will scroll to the end if started with 'z'.

Hi Sam

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I realise they are in alphabetical order but (unless I am mistaken) most downloaded clips/files from cameras are numbered sequentially e.g. TOSH0001 TOSH0002 TOSH0003 etc. and so even if you add TOSH0045 the list scrolls back to TOSH0001 as this is the first alphabetically and that's the irritating thing. I can run an independant program to renumber them all as simply 0001 0002 0003 etc. but that's an extra hassle.

Any way around this within VP?

Nat

Hi Nat,

even if you add TOSH0045 the list scrolls back to TOSH0001

This sounds like a bug. I'll do some testing and first see if it works as intended. Then I think I can add an option (maybe a toggle button) to disable automatic sorting.

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Hi Sam

This behaviour only happens when the clips are displayed in the media window as thumbnails. If they are displayed in list format the list doesn't scroll back to the top. However, with a lot of clips, thumbnail display IMHO is more useful as a visible reminder what each clip contains.

Nat