No hot key function in new download of Express Scribe

rkennell

I recently purchased the software thinking that was why there was no hot key option on the software. I thought maybe that the free version no longer allowed it. I have just upgraded to Windows 10 and have purchased the software after the upgrade. However, when I go to Options>System-Wide Hot keys, all that pops up is a menu about incoming recordings. There are other tabs listed, but none of them are for setting hot keys. My old version used to have a place to find the hot keys and to set or disable them. As a result, I have no hot key functionality. I really depended on the hot keys and I find this rather frustrating to no longer have this.

As an added afterthought--I wonder if the F5 key needs to be disabled in my Word program. I haven't figured out how to do this, but in the past, I used the F5 button for a pop-up hot key for my ES and would like to continue to do so.

I am experiencing the same issue. I just purchased the Pro edition last night and when I went into the program to update my information I no longer had hot keys set up. When I click on the Options tab, there is the System Wide Hot Keys option but when I select it, there is no option for it in the display tabs.

I am waiting for an email back from tech support but hoping that I could find a solution here as I will need to work this week.

I have just downloaded and tested the latest version of the program V 5.85 on Windows 10 and when I go to Options > Hotkeys I do get the option to enable the system hot-keys and to add, change or delete the current default options. If you are using an older version of the program then you may want to try launching the program as Admin and run it in Compatibility mode.

Has anyone successfully resolved this yet please? I purchased the Pro version and have the same problem. But ridiculous to pay money and then lose functionality! Are these forums monitored by support staff?

I also upgraded Express Scribe to purchased version thinking that's why the Hot Keys options weren't available. It's not showing all the tab options that it's supposed to have. I also have Windows 10. Waiting for response via email.

OK, had a response from a NCH technician and it seemed to work for me:

Please uninstall Express Scribe, install all the latest updates and drivers for your system that is compatible with Windows 10, reboot computer and install Express Scribe from the link below

http://www.nch.com.au/components/essetup.exe

I had to go to Start>Control Panel>Programs & Features. Found Express Scribe on the list, right clicked, clicked on Uninstall/Change and voila. I had just down a Windows 10 update yesterday, so I had nothing to update there. When I rebooted and reinstalled the program from the link, the missing tabs are now there.

Can somebody confirm or deny this? At one time, I was able to use the hot-keys in the free download of Express Scribe. Maybe I am mistaken, as I have several different versions installed now. I have attempted to re-install the free version, only to find the same problem persists. The hot-key function is not accessible from Options tab or anywhere else.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've done everything suggested above - uninstall, make sure Windows 10 is up to date, re-install.  Still no hot key function at all!

I have the free version.  But still - it's pretty useless without use of hot keys.  (I do not have a foot pedal).

Can anyone advise what the heck is going on here??  Extremely frustrating

Thanks

Hi,

IF the function keys were enabled from Options → Hot-Keys menu, and you have also set new function keys(not the default ones) from the same menu "Change" or "Add" options....and yet the issue persisted, the case could be related to the word processor where you are trying to use these keys, specially if they are also set for use on this third party software, meaning: they are already taken. Please review, try to change the key or key combination and re test.

Best regards,