Subtitles duration

friar

By default subtitles appear for 3 seconds, except by adjusting them manually one by one, is there a way to change this default value to a larger one????

Don't spot a preset value there, but the length of each subtitle can be adjusted via the red and blue IN and OUT buttons.

Your query was read carefully. Each title must fit a specific scene or voicing - which varies in length.

From NCH FAQs: Can I add subtitles using VideoPad?

Yes, you can add your own subtitles manually or add a subtitle file, in .ssa format, to the video project.

To add subtitles manually, follow these steps.

1. After adding your video to the sequence, click the Subtitles button on the Home tab toolbar
  2. Type the subtitle text in the white box at the bottom of the window
  3. Select the correct portion of the video using the preview window at the top of the window
  4. Adjust the length using the "Show" and "Hide" times or the red and blue arrows under the preview
  5. Add additional subtitles by clicking the Add Subtitle button and repeating Steps 1-4

To add an existing subtitle file, click the Load SSA button on the Subtitles Window toolbar.

For more detailed information, please view the tutorial at http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/subtitles.html.

Thank you,

No 4

if I leave it alone it will appear for 3 seconds

I can adjust it yes to my favorite of 7 seconds, manually one by one thank you

Is it possible that this automatic period of three seconds is permanently changed to 7 seconds please......

so that I don;t have to adjust them one by one.??????

and then go to step 5 type my text go to step 5 type again go step 5 and so on avoiding steps 1 2 3 and 4 when I have a long string of subtitles to input....

Hi, I am new on these forums. I recently bought VideoPad and really like it. The one thing that irritates the heck out of me is the cumbersome way to add subtitles, and particularly having to fiddle with the red and blue start/stop markers. I find it strange that subtitles are always relative to the sequence and cannot be particular to a clip. Typically I create a video of N clips, and each clip is to have a subtitle starting 3 seconds into the clip and lasting 10 seconds (or some other numbers of choice here). It takes an awful lot of zooming and dragging to achieve that and I seem to spend more time on the subtitles than on the rest of the video. IMO when you have a clip selected there should be a right mouse option "Add clip subtitle" and a possibility to add offset (relative to the clip) and duration with the keyboard, with preset values 3 and 10 already filled in. I hope I'm not alone in finding these markers (which are always on top of each other and on the cursor) plain awful, and desiring the subtitles to be relative to the clip (though of course there should also be the possibility of subtitles relative to the sequence, like it is now).

I agree that the current way for editing subtitles is awkward.

But the reason subtitles are relative to sequence is that the sequence can only have one subtitle at a time. subtitles don't overlay each other like other clips.

Yes, we are looking for improving subtitles editing. Suggestions are most welcome.

I agree that the current way for editing subtitles is awkward.

But the reason subtitles are relative to sequence is that the sequence can only have one subtitle at a time. subtitles don't overlay each other like other clips.

Yes, we are looking for improving subtitles editing. Suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks for your reply ! But subtitles DO seem to overlay. If fact when I want different fonts I define two or more overlapping subtitles. Works fine but it's a bit of a pain. What would be great is to be able to define a subtitle with HTML/CSS to get total freedom. Or in any case an easy way to enter the offset in a clip and the duration. I find those sliding markers extremely inconvenient.

Even if subtitles are not meant to overlay it would make sense to be able to *define* them relative to a clip. I would assume this is how most people would do it, no ?

have a look how Windows "Movie Maker" a free application does it.

I used Windows MM for years (the old one though, not the one from Windows Live) and was thoroughly sick of it crashing, hanging, and eating up my CPU. VideoPad is so much better although applying effects (and subtitles) seems a little unwieldy. I suppose I'll get used to it ;-)

@cbreemer:

But subtitles DO seem to overlay. If fact when I want different fonts I define two or more overlapping subtitles. Works fine but it's a bit of a pain. What would be great is to be able to define a subtitle with HTML/CSS to get total freedom. Or in any case an easy way to enter the offset in a clip and the duration. I find those sliding markers extremely inconvenient.

Even if subtitles are not meant to overlay it would make sense to be able to *define* them relative to a clip. I would assume this is how most people would do it, no ?

Subtitle is design for generating standard subtitle files (SRT, SSA) therefore they can't overlap. I think Text Clip is what you looking for - it can contain rich style text and can be moved around freely in the timeline like other clips.

Subtitle is design for generating standard subtitle files (SRT, SSA) therefore they can't overlap. I think Text Clip is what you looking for - it can contain rich style text and can be moved around freely in the timeline like other clips.

Thanks for your reply Sam. Good to see developers taking part here.

I have been using the "Subtitles" button and was definitely able to add two overlapping titles as you can see in the file "Subtitles.ssa" I saved it to:

[Events]

Format: Marked, Start, End, Style, Name, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Effect, Text

Dialogue: Marked=0,
0:00:05.30,0:00:16.39
,Style1,,0000,0000,0000,!Effect,\R\N Grieg - Lyric Pieces\R\N Book 4, Op. 47\R\N\R\N\R\N\R\N

Dialogue: Marked=0,
0:00:07.66,0:00:14.52
,Style2,,0000,0000,0000,!Effect,Chris Breemer, piano \R\N

Dialogue: Marked=0,0:00:22.52,0:00:29.04,Style3,,0000,0000,0000,!Effect, 1 - Valse-Impromptu

Dialogue: Marked=0,0:03:30.08,0:03:36.93,Style4,,0000,0000,0000,!Effect, 2 - Album Leaf

Dialogue: Marked=0,0:07:16.61,0:07:23.18,Style5,,0000,0000,0000,!Effect, 3 - Melodie

Dialogue: Marked=0,0:10:37.78,0:10:44.67,Style6,,0000,0000,0000,!Effect, 4 - Halling

Dialogue: Marked=0,0:12:16.37,0:12:22.74,Style7,,0000,0000,0000,!Effect, 5 - Melancholie

Dialogue: Marked=0,0:13:01.15,0:13:09.33,Style8,,0000,0000,0000,!Effect, 6 - Norwegian Dance

Dialogue: Marked=0,0:17:25.95,0:17:33.45,Style9,,0000,0000,0000,!Effect, 7 - Elegie

I'm probably still missing something here. But I'll hunt around for the Text Clip function, sounds like it might be less cumbersome and more flexible,