Effect Preview Window gone in 4.40?

Winter98

I have been using version 3.85 for about the last year and didn't have any problems with it. I recently updated to version 4.40 and have noticed that the 'effect preview' window is missing from this newer version. The window was used to show what overlayed effects looked like on the main video. This was a function that I used a lot and still need to use for my editing.

It may still be there and I might just not be able to find it. So if anyone has any information on this topic it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

That view isn't missing, it's "improved." :)

Click the SEQUENCE tab to see it... preview.jpgOr click the VIEW menu in the toolbar and "show dual previews."

OK... the above did not work...this is becoming a show-stopper for me. I'm already starting to investigate some competitors. I REALLY need this function back. It makes no sense that it's gone. How much longer until it is restored????

Hi

The effects window as it used to be (complete but independant of the main interface screen) is not now there as it has been combined with the CLIP PREVIEW screen

When you normally open VP (with nothing loaded) you see just one screen; the SEQUENCE PREVIEW. When you add a clip to the media list it becomes the focus and the CLIP PREVIEW window is displayed. Move this clip onto the timeline (sequence line) and the window changes to the SEQUENCE PREVIEW. Selecting a clip from the Media list or from the timeline will display it in the CLIP PREVIEW window.

You can switch between the two displays by clicking the appropriate button at the top of the display window. The CLIP PREVIEW shows the currently selected clip. If this seems a bit confusing you can do as Borate suggests and display both windows side by side using the Dual Previews option from the view menu.

Now, adding an effect is done (as you no doubt know) by selecting a clip on the timeline and clicking the FX button associated with it. Instead of displaying a effects specific window as it used to, VP now shows a control display pane for the effect that has been opened, and depending on the effect you can extend this to show the key frame lines with scrubber bar for the various parameters. This extension can obscure the display window.

However, despite this you should now see that the CLIP PREVIEW has taken the focus of the main display and it is this that will show the effects that you are introducing in a similar way as it did previously.

e.g. If you have chosen to use the POSITION effect, the CLIP PREVIEW window will now show the position rectangle in a similar way that the old window used to.

If you want the effect to move, open the extension pane and set key frames as before adjusting the display rectangle and using graph line buttons and the red cursor line. (Same/similar to previously)

There is no accept option for effects now as they take effect immediately once the frames have been generated, and you can play the clip straight away to see of the effect is waht you want.

You can edit the parameters just as before.

If you want to see the screen in a (rather) similar way as before i.e. larger you can undock the CLIP PREVIEW window.

IMHO I do feel that the idea of having independant screens/panes/windows for the various components of an effect is a bit clumsy as they often obscure each other.

Anyway hope this helps a bit.

Nat

I am sure much of this you already know, but even so the "old" effects pane is still there but it's been disguised. :-))

I very much appreciate your patience and walk through this step-by-step. Sadly, you confirmed that what I'm doing now is as close as I'm going to get to the old functionality. This "upgrade" is, as you very aptly stated, "clumsy." I find myself constantly "peeking" over the effect window, rearranging/resizing windows, etc. Does it work? Well, yes in the strictest sense, I can make it all "work." But I do a LOT of effects editing and what was a strong aspect of VP is now one of its weakest.

Perhaps this is all personal preference and I'm the only one disappointed with the change. (I doubt I'm the ONLY one - but ya never know).

I greatly preferred clicking on "effect"...having the whole clip right there, studying it as I applied the effect and when finally satisfied applying my changes (or not).

In looking at competing products, VP has it all over many others in so many ways especially when it comes to an intuitive editor that responds the way you anticipate without much study. The change made to the effects editor goes the wrong direction. If there are many others who feel we've lost something with the "upgrade", please speak up. I would never expect the developers to make a change based on a single cry in the wilderness.

OTOH, if it's just me, I guess I'll just have to get over it. (I've been in the IT industry for 30 years so I have a reasonable expectation).

Again, THANK YOU for the kind and timely reply.

Testing both scenarios here, with VP and a competing product that does it your way, I'll chime in and cast a vote for having the video IN the effects window, where not only keyframes can be constructed but the result can be seen.

In the end it's likely a matter of familiarity and personal preference, with the same results.

Hi,

We realized the need for showing the composed result("Background") in Clip Preview, if the clip is in a Sequence.

We'll make it available in the next version.

Hurrah, as I too found the "new" way of working not as good as the previous way. PS I tried to click the 'Like This' button above but was told that I've reached my quota for the day, which must mean my quota is zero. Sigh.

Reading the above thread again, I chose to 'undock' the preview window - ta dah!

Now I get to see the clip preview (when I'm adding text, for example) and also can see the effect on the sequence main window, so I can judge position, transparency and so on. I'm not understating when I see this has made a massive improvement to my usability of VP.

Previously I was constantly switching between the tabbed preview / sequence window.

Sometimes it's the simplest of things...

You also tried "dual windows" - under the VIEW menu?

Yes, but the windows were too small when doing that. As I have two monitors I just have the preview window on monitor and VP application on the other. Works better than the tabbed window situation for me.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Using the VP about a year ago I love to have the effects in the effects window. I now came back to VP after trying out the competition just to find out a greatly reduced usability of applying the effects. Poor upgrade. Researching the competition again :/

Hi

Checkout more closely the solutions mentioned above (i.e. undocking the clip preview pane) and you will see that it isn't THAT much different to the earlier versions of VP. The only thing I don't much like is that the Effects pane can't be adjusted in size and when on top it will always obscure part of the preview window..........

5254d80ff5ea9ea6898908dc82226fc8.png

You can, of course "slide back" the animation editor and enlarge the preview pane but it's in integral part of the effects pane for many of the effects. I can't see why the animation editor can't be re positioned to appear from the bottom of the Effects window............

3871f31b156e8fc15873e5f0cb1168be.png

With this configuration you don't get an overlap and you can drag out the preview pane to fill the right hand side of the display where it will actually be larger than with the old integrated effects display.

Nat