Can I make stems always up, how to work with margins.

mario17

Hi,

Is it possible to manually change stem up/down orientation ? I just tried and with simple G-B-D chord on treble cleff it made it down and my composer wanted it up,

I also print it out and see pretty big margins on left/right, can I change them ??

Thanks All

Mario

Hi mario17

Yes you can change stem direction. Select the notes or chords that you want to change (you can select multiple notes at once by using the control key and clicking each note, or select a range of notes by holding down the shift key and clicking the first and last notes of the range). Then right click on the note and from the pop-up menu select "Stem->Down".

As for changing margin widths, it is on our list of todo items, but it is not currently implemented. There is a workaround which will allow you to change one line at a time by selecting a bar and then right clicking and then clicking the "Spacing..." menu item. However, this is a bit time consuming. As I said, support for this will be added properly soon.

Regards,

Ben

• 6 months later...

I will appreciate any help to guide me, to write 1 note, for 2 voices, with 1 stem up and 1 stem down. I went through all the settings, i can move stems up or down but i can not retain 2 of them, on the same note. I tried to type to notes for soprano than for alto, does not work. Somehow, by chance, i manged to write only 1 note with 2 stems, 1 up, 1 down on the same note, but i can not find the right steps again. If someone can help me, i would be very gratefully!

• 3 months later...

Hi mainer104,

I'm not sure what the problem could be - it is working for me here. Are you making sure the notes are selected? They should be high-lighted blue when selected. From there you should be able to just right click and change the direction as described above.

Regards,

Ben

• 7 months later...

I'm also can't change the direction of the note stems - one at the time or by highlighting several at a time.  When I click on a singe note and right click, I see the option of Stem. but the down and up options are greyed out.  When I highlight several at a time and right click, the Stem option is not there.

How can I get this to work?

Grace

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

What Ben meant when he says: you can select a range of notes and changes the stem at once; he really mean a range is a series of quater notes or a series of quavers or a series of half notes within a single bar. 

Edited by Andrew81
improvement

• 4 years later...

For TB view.... why cant we just select, Voice 1 all stems up as default or if you want it auto leave it auto. All very well doing it bar by bar but rather tedious. Also I find they wont go up until you put in a voice 2 and select stems down, then you can have voice 1 with stems up.