Pricing ExpressScribe Pro unrestricted license and ExpressScribe Basic

krnotley

ExpressScribe shows two different prices, one for Pro "unrestricted license" and a slightly less expensive one for "Basic" but nowhere can I find an explanation of the difference in what I would be buying.

The only difference I've understood before this is Pro and free. Please explain before I purchase.

Also, I want to purchase ExpressScribe for a third party--that is, they download and install the professional version, and use the register the license as theirs.

KRN

• 1 month later...

Yes I have exactly the same question regarding the difference between 'Express Scribe Professional' and 'Express Scribe Basic'.

I am very wary about purchasing software from NCH, given all the horror stories out there, and this is only adding to my wariness.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Josh from NCH replied to me that Basic is for Home, uncommercial use, whereas Pro is "unrestricted"; he wasn't any more forthcoming than that about what "unrestricted" means in terms of how many PCs you can install one license on.  My understanding is that you can basically install it on your PC and a backup unit, like your laptop, but you can't use them both at the same time.  

I've been using ExpressScribe for something in the range of 20 years, satisfactorily.  It's more or less the gold standard for what it does.  That said, NCH's care for its clients is indifferent to lousy.  I can't complain of having been ripped off, as some other complaints may be, but the lack of cooperation or concern is outstanding.  Its latest email promoting V6.06 Scribe is typical, saying it has lots of improvements and features, and to "learn more" at such and such a link.  The link is only the Scribe webpage, and says nothing different about the new version. 

Still, Scribe, at least, allows you quite some time to test out their full Pro version before deciding whether to go with the unlicensed version--audio only and that restricted--or Pro, which includes a wide range of audio formats (if you're going to be using those) and video, which can be very useful if the speaker is using a slideshow.