What exactly does the main window show?

pooksahib

Hi. I've always assumed that Wavepad was showing me the left and right audio channels (above and below the mid-screen horizontal line). Now I'm not so sure. I've just loaded a file which begins in stereo but, a minute into it, only comes out of one speaker. You can see this by the circled single green line. If Wavepad was indeed showing both channels, the waveform would look like the section at the end (which I've doctored), wouldn't it?

e7fe75465168011.jpg

Can someone clarify this for me please?

Also, is it possible to edit single channels? It would be nice if I could copy the audio of my weird file into the empty channel.

My thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Hi pooksahib,

WavePad has 3 main ways you can display the waveform. The default way (and the way you currently have selected) is a composite signal of all channels. In this case the waveform represents the fluctuations of an audio signal as it goes above and below DC.

WavePad can also represent a signal in the way you were expecting by using the wave display option buttons in the bottom left hand corner of the wave window. Hover your mouse over each of these buttons and you will see a tooltip explaining what each one is for.

In order to edit an individual channel, you first need to split the original signal into its component channels using "Edit --> Split --> Split into Component Channels". You can then edit each channel separately. If you wish to rejoin them afterwards, then you can use "Edit --> Join --> Join mono files to make stereo"

Regards,

Ben

Excellent, Ben, thank you very much for that.

I've googled 'DC' and got Direct Current. Is that what you meant?

Splitting into two channels was a breeze but I can't see the 'Edit...Join' command anywhere. My version is 5.33. Could you show me how to get to that function please?

401e2c465309261.jpg

Hi pooksahib,

For some reason (a bug!) that function is missing from the menu, but you can access it via the Edit "tab".

I do mean Direct Current, but reviewing my post in the context of your question I think my description was a bit misleading - I could have been clearer. If you think of a typical audio signal as an alternating electrical current then above the centre line represents a positive voltage and below represents a negative voltage. I was using DC to refer to the centre line of 0 volts, which is not always the case.

Regards,

Ben