Mac version over the Windows version, a little frustrated

Twync

Hi Guys,

i've been using Windows version of Wavepad for a large number of years and this Christmas Santa bought me a new Mac Pro, what a top dude! I've steadily been changing over all my nice NCH software programmes over to the Mac equivalents. I knew there would be differences between versions, but Wavepad has been a real headf*** if I'm honest.

I use a Mac at work so I'm used to the operating system, The programme works okay, but its seems like its 10 versions behind the Window's version (6.33)

What the heck with the floating windows, especially ones that cannot be removed or made invisible (I've checked over so many times and found no way to make them disappear so i get a full working screen), The floating windows end up getting annoying and in the way!

The Window's version has the working side bar on the left with boxes for Tools, Effects, Related Tasks etc., fixed header with tabs etc., all together made a quicker working environment when dealing with a number of Audio projects. That is a big miss if i'm totally honest.

On the Speed & Pitch editing feature, I cannot seem to manually enter my own values anymore. Mac's Wavepad automatically placing its nearest/closest value in the box instead. Not great when producing sample loops, I'm having to revert to the Windows version to do this work now.

Am i the only one or does the Windows version feel so much superior than the Mac version (did I really just type that!)

Look I know its early days and yes I'm having to get use to it, but why the massive differences between formats?

A little frustrated is an understatement.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Twync,

Sorry to hear you having trouble with the Mac version of WavePad. I agree, there are a lot of behavioural differences between the two.

We are actually slowly changing the Mac version to be more like the windows version so that over time there should be very little difference. However, this is a slow process with incremental changes. I've made a note of the issues you have described, but if there are any other major problems then please PM me and I will make sure they get a priority boost!

Regards,

Ben

• 2 months later...

+1

Floating windows are hard to manage, I pretty much prefer working with the program interface in Windows. I would also like to add that the Mac version is not Retina compatible, which makes every text command look blurry.

Hope to see some improvements soon.

Hey Ben,

That's great news to hear, the floating windows just dragged over to my second screen now. The Speed & Pitch values are still a pain, although if I enter below the required value I need it will often adjust itself to the value I need but its a little hit & miss.

I also pm'd you in regards with problems of the limited lengths mp3 files when loading in the Windows version.... Guess what the same is now occurring with the Mac version now. This time a maximum length of 9:40.408.

A little assist wouldn't go a miss :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree about the floating tool palettes on the Mac. I never use them. I never use them in Audacity. I wonder if all NCH Mac apps are the same.

A newbie is likely not to use them much, but rather poke around the (familiar) menubar trying out things. A professional is likely to spend most of the time using keyboard shortcuts.

I looked everywhere for a close-box, preferences, etc. The only manual I could find referred to something beside the help icon, but no such thing, and it dawned on me eventually this was not a Mac version manual.

Getting closeable palettes isn't something for programmers to get around to eventually. They are one of the first items to address. Surely, with modern ADK's, it's just a matter of inserting a close-box, recompiling, and good to go.

Know what? I just started an account here just to say that! So I should close by saying this is one awesome piece of software; but I won't say that because then everything I said before might get forgotten.