midi does not play during recording

darav44@yahoo.com

Hi there, in this case you would need to connect an external MIDI synthesizer, then select it as your playback device. If you do not have an external MIDI device then you can use the built in Microsoft synthesizer. Please note that the built in synthesizer has a significant lag which can make synchronization difficult.

I hope that helped.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem as the OP.

I can record from the MIDI keyboard, and when I stop recording I can play the track, and that works (although the volume is very low).

But there is no sound while recording.

I do not have an external MIDI synthesizer.

On the "Audio Options" dialog I have selected MIDI Playback options = Play MIDI using device: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth".

Any suggestions, please?

Hi RenniePet,

There are 3 broad strategies people use when recording MIDI to hear what they are playing. How well these work can depend a little on what kind of equipment you have at your disposal. eg. mixers, sound interfaces etc.

1. Use a MIDI instrument with a built in synthesiser and listen to it via headphones

2. Re-route the MIDI signals being recorded to a separate synthesiser unit and listen to that

3. Use a VSTi (virtual instrument) built-in to the software.

MixPad does not yet support rendering MIDI signals while recording although it will do so with playback. It is a feature which is on our todo list and is being worked on right now, so hopefully it will be available shortly :)

The Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth option you have selected is only for playback and will not render the MIDI while recording.

Regards,

Ben

Hi all,

An update to this. MixPad now supports live monitoring of MIDI recordings via virtual instruments if you are using an ASIO capable sound device. To enable this, click on the "Spanner" icon of the track you are recording to and check the box "Enable MIDI monitoring via VST instrument for ASIO devices". Then in the MIDI playback options field, check the "Play MIDI using VST instrument" option and select your preferred VST instrument from the dropdown list.

Regards,

Ben

• 8 months later...

OK, so I bought the MixPad Masters software after using the free version because I specifically wanted to use VSTi synths on my MacBook and iMac - BUT - following your instructions above when I click on the spanner there is no option to select 'Play MIDI using VST instrument' PLEASE HELP!

I specifically paid for the software so that I would have this option so where is it??

Also, can you provide instructions as to where to put VSTi's so that they can be selected by MixPad.

Cheers