Diagonal slash across preview

jacksonmacd

Using VP 4.22 on Windows 10. The Sequence Preview window contains a single, diagonal black line running from top left to bottom right, and I don't know where it came from or what it means. Also, the text content of all Text clips is "folded" across itself when viewed in the Clip Preview window, so the text is unreadable. This "folded" behaviour is repeated in the Sequence Preview window when I click the Play button, and the text moves diagonally rather than straight down the screen when vertical scrolling is applied. However, both the video and the text are rendered properly (no folding or horizontal movement) in the output video file. The Video Effects dialogs for the text clips do not have anything applied (everything is blank).

So the line is more of a nuisance than a real problem, but it must be from some setting that I accidentally applied to the video. Any ideas where it comes from and how to eliminate?

???? - I don't see how to attach a file to this reply. Must be overlooking something.

=============================================

Ok - here are two screenshots.

1. The Sequence Preview panel showing the diagonal line. The black part of the text seems to be the word "January" that is flipped over, and viewed from the back. The white part is "2015" that is not flipped, but is displayed over top of the "January"

2. The text-box definition dialog, exhibiting the same "flipped-over" behaviour.

@jacksonmacd:

Could you try setting the system font size to 100%?

You can do it by Right Click on the Desktop -> Display Settings -> Change the size of the text... (slider).

Also dose it happen when using the particular font or always happens?

System font had been set to 150%. tried changing it to 100% and 125% (recommended). No change with either of these settings.

Tried several fonts, all with the same results.

FWIW, and if you think this may be a video problem:

Windows 10 64 bit on a Lenovo Y510P notebook computer

Two NVidea GeoForce GT755M video cards

Driver version 353.62 (most recent)

I wrote a very detailed, step-by-step testing response but did not save it externally before clicking the Dropbox link in previous message to confirm it still works. That clobbered the message. Will try to recreate from memory.

Bottom line is that v 4.11 and v 4.22 have the same behaviour with the corrupted textboxes. However, v 4.22 did work properly on occasion by swapping between versions, but I could not find a reliable way to make the text boxes work properly. On the other hand, playing with the Scrolling / Non-scrolling setting in the textbox definition did seem to always cause the diagonal scrolling corruption.

One textbox contains three lines of white, centred text. When it is working properly, it simply scrolls down the screen. However, when it is corrupted, it acts almost like a Photoshop layer mask in that there are both white and black copies of the text. The white text scrolls vertically, but is hidden except for when it is superimposed over/under the black text which scrolls on a diagonal line. The same behaviour is present in single-line textboxes, although it is harder to see because the text occupies less screen real estate.

The dropbox (see earlier message) contains two project files and the video diagnostic results. The original one is the original project. The V-3 copy is from when I found the textboxes to be working properly and SaveAs immediately into a new file. Sometimes the V-3 works properly, sometimes it has corrupted textboxes. Could not find a pattern.

Don't know if this stuff is useful, or just a red herring. Hope you can find the cause.

Sorry forget to remind you have to clear the cache files when you swap to anther version.

Please check Options -> Disk -> Cache -> Clear all cache files on exit.

Could you try again with this option on?

Also could you just try turn off the text shadow or outline see if it make any difference?

If I clear the cache and re-open the project, then the text works properly and the diagonal line does not appear on the Sequence Preview window. However, if I let the system idle for a few minutes (time to rebuild the cache), then the text spontaneously goes corrupt and the diagonal line appears across the Sequence Preview window.

The text was created with an outline ON. Turning it off has no effect on whether the text goes corrupt. Adding a text clip to a brand new project with a cleared cache also had the corrupted text, but with such a small project, the cache is updated instantaneously. If I clear the cache then reopen the big project, the existing text clips work properly. If I create a NEW text clip (no shadow or outline), then it is immediately corrupted - scrolls on the diagonal.

The corruption shows up first in the Sequence Previews that include the Text Clips. For a few minutes, the Sequence Previews are corrupt, but the Clip Previews of the original Text Clips work properly. However, after a few minutes, then the Text Clips become corrupt too.

It seems to work when the item is not in the cache, but fails when it is in the cache. The cache hasn't reached its full size yet as I write this message, but I've seen it as large as 600 files and occupies about 1.5 GB. It takes several minutes to rebuild the cache each time. (BTW, the cache folder is not completely emptied upon exit; about 6 "sound" files remain in the cache folder)

BTW - if I double-click the preview panels to open a standalone Preview window, then they work properly. It's only the in-place previews that are corrupted. The final output file also works properly. I can workaround the problem; it's really just a nuisance. However, if you want me to pursue it further, I am willing to help.