Audio Too Loud

kingdommandate

Hi kingdommandate,

There are several points along the audio input chain where you can adjust the gain/volume of your recording. If the recording is too loud at any of these points then this will result in a distorted recording. Once a recording is distorted it is not really possible to fix it. (If there is only a tiny bit of distortion you may be able to improve it, but it doesn't sound like this applies in your case).

It sounds like your setup is reasonably simple, so the first point I would be looking at in your input chain is the input level on your Tascam device (if you give me the model number I can look it up and give you more specific advice). Basically you want to set the input level so that the loudest noise you are planning to record will not distort. Distortion occurs when the volume of the audio you are recording exceeds the maximum input range of your device. Your device probably has something like a little red peak light which will light up if the recording is too loud. The occasional flicker is ok, but you don't want this light to come on regularly. I would recommend reading the manual carefully as it should give you advice on how to setup a recording for that particular device.

Regards,

Ben

Thank you so very much for responding. I have a TASCAM DR-40. Someone suggested that we buy this device for recording, but I am having a difficult time understanding how to use it (not your problem of course) :) Again, I thank you for the help you've given and if there is any other advice that you can share without taking up too much more of your time, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Sincerely,

Wenona

Kingdom Mandate

That looks like a well-featured deck. I have many Tascam models (DR-680, DR-2d, DR-60D), but not this one. Take some time to learn about it; I've found the interface becomes easy to understand with trial and error.

Assume you are recording from the internal mics? at any rate, make sure the mic input is set on low, and adjust the input volume on the side toggle switch as needed. There are possibly other menu settings to consider.

Read the manual. and I recommend that you check out taperssection.com; there is much info there and your deck is well covered in the Recording Gear section. good luck!

As noted above, a distorted ("brick-walled") recording is fairly impossible to repair.

(thanks NCH for the side track. And I commend you admins for paying such good attention to the forums!)

Hi Wenona,

Ok, I see now that you are using a self-contained portable multi-track recorder. As vapors suggests, I would carefully read the manual - especially any parts which talk about setting the correct recording level. Also, I notice from the homepage of this device that it has an auto-levelling feature. Sometimes these features can be heavy handed and the shift in levels is too noticeable and distracting, but I would test it out nonetheless.

Since you are new to the device, before using it in any serious capacity I would spend plenty of time doing practice recordings and importing them to your computer until you get the hang of it.

Good luck with your projects!

Regards,

Ben