VideoPad Editor changed a lot of my file's icons?

FlamingMangos

I downloaded the free version of Videopad. Its version 4.21. The problem I have with it is when I installed it. It changed a lot big file extension's icons into a different icon. Files such as mkv, mp3, rar, etc etc all have that icon. The things I tried so far. I tried clearing my thumbnail cache and rebuilding my cache and none of them works. All the files have its default programs. Mkv using Media classic player. That still didn't fix anything. I uninstalled videoPad to see if it fixes anything and it didn't work. I really need to fix this problem. I'm using windows 10.

VP has been installed many times here, and has never messed with icons of any file type that it handles..

If I understand you correctly, you are saying the clicking on these files still opens the desired program, to view or play them?

Have you tried reassociating a file with ts viewer or player? Open the Action Center, tap or click ALL SETTINGS|SYSTEM|DEFAULT PROGRAMS.

If that fails, right-click on a file (an MKV, for example), and CREATE SHORTCUT. Then right-click the shortcut and click PROPERTIES|CHANGE ICON.

The folder shown may not contain the icon you want. Browse to the executable file - MPC-HC.exe, for example - where the icons for that program may be listed.

The probable path to MPC-HC is "C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe" or it may be in "C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe"

New icon choices may not take effect until after a reboot or two.

Hi

I don't know if later versions of Windows behaves in the same way but in Vista you can change the icons displayed for a particular file type by simply right clicking the file with the incorrect icon and then taking the "Properties" option. Click the Modify button to the right of the "Opens with.." prompt and select a suitable program that you want the file to open with.

This will change all the icons for the selected file type to the icon of the program chosen. (Assuming that the program is capable of opening it.) i.e. Clicking an mpg4 file which has a VP icon and then Selecting the VLC program will change all the mpg4 files to the striped road cone icon of VLC.

Its unusual to see a file open in a program not associated with its icon. VP v4.21 did not produce any problems here.

Nat

Hi

You are trying to change the icon for the program not the file. (or files)

Some programs come with several icons and clicking the program icon (not the file icon) and then "Properties" will open the program icon folder displaying other optional icons. If other icons are not available, or if you browse for one of your own, you can open the system 32 root icon folder (which you seem to be displaying) and select one from many others that Windows has available.

Doing this for VP can associate file types used by VP to that icon. If no icon has been selected or set up for the program then Windows will display a generic icon similar to the one you are highlighting.

Don't delete it. Just choose another.

Nat

That looks weird... The icon is form Windows Shell (Explorer).

VideoPad would not intend to change the media file icons. It might cause by something else.

Anyway, to fix that, try right click on the file (e.g. a mkv) and choose Open With -> Choose Another App

Once you changed the default program for one file, all files of the type will also changed.

Best Regards,

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there.

I had the exact same problem as you but I finally have mine solved and I hope it works for you too. Just like you, I also downloaded a free version of Videopad on my Windows 8.1 and as a result, my .rar, certain Office Word extensions, and worst of all my .mp3's were all affected with an unfamiliar icon.

I searched high and low for a fix, but none worked except this guy's very simple How To (link:

) which solved this issue within MINUTES like a charm. So the credits all go to him.

He has the steps in his video description as well, but just in case:

1. Start > Type "regedit" in search bar > Enter.

2. In your registry editor, go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

3. From the dropdown menu, select the folder of the affected extension, in this case, the .mkv folder and expand it. There should be a folder named "User Choice" in it. Delete the folder. Don't worry, it's safe to delete :) however, your files' default program choice will get reset.

4. Do the same for any other affected extensions, example .mp3, .rar, etc.

5. Restart Computer.

I hope this solution works for you as it did with mine.

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to a drop a note here, even though I submitted a bug report on this a few days ago, to mention a few things for the others who encounter this in the future. The fix posted above did not work for me, but what I found below, did.

As you'll see below, this problem applies to more than VideoPad Editor, which I've never installed.

Summary: Debut, which I installed on Windows 10 for the first time recently (as described above) changed the icons as seen in File Explorer (not the program associations, which were still correct) of numerous file types on my system, such as jpg, mp4, mkv, avi, iso, rar, tar, gz, 7z and many more. They were all changed to an icon contained in shell32.dll (the one shown in the thread below). This was most unhelpful when it came to differentiating files on the system quickly.

This is a problem that has existed since at least June 2015:

http://www.tomsguide...on-unknown.html

I had to use the solution at the end of that thread (FileTypesMan), but this should NOT have been a problem all these months later in 2016 given that NCH has been aware of the issue (thread mentions that NCH was emailed about it).

It took hours of trying other solutions before I even found what the real problem was.