How to turn off animated icons in effects

daorus

In v. 4.14 there is a new feature

When we place cursor over icon in effects dialog now icons ara animated.

Videoediting is a process where mental concentration is very imporant, because you have hundrends of pieces of video, images and audio and you have to match them in final result.

And every additional which "eats" my attention kills my nerves and blocks editing.

Working with these animated icons now are like working in a room where light is always blinking because of broken lighting builbs.

It is very annoing!!!

Question: how can I turn off these animated icons?

PS. A month or ago I mentioned that if some developers of your team wants to make SOME COOL SUPER feature, just add an option to turn if off, because this new COOL SUPER feature may be not so super and may be just a PAIN IN THE ASS.

The same situation was when your team added a feature with automatic sound playback on cursor move. That was so awafull that I had to roll back to v.2.41 !!!!

And now we have the same situation: they added some automatic trash and it kills productivity of me as video editor.

So I ask developers:

1) If you want to make some new cool feature, come here on this forum and ask if your idea great or not

2) If you added some new feature, add and option to turn it off and allow professional users to use old tested and proven way of inderface.

We added the animation in not just because it looks cool.

We are trying make the effects being understood easier by first time users.

c_major, I DO understand why you did this.

When I first saw this animation I immediatelly realzied that it is for new people.

This animation is a kind of help.

And you know too much help in real life can be a problem.

Imagine a dialog in a restaraunt.

Waiter

Can I help you?

You

No thank you.

Waiter

Can I help you?

You

No... THANK you.

Waiter

Can I help you?

You

NO!! THANK YOU!!!

Waiter

Can I help you?

You

FUCK YOU ASS HOLE!!

I AM LEAVING!!!

AND NEVER GET BACK!!

Waiter

What did I do wrong?...

I just wanted to help you

and provide a better

serivce...

So the lesson of this situation is that when your coders do something they do not test this feature for many times usage.

They've tested it for 3-5 times and this is ok.

But when you see this animation for 200-300 times it gets a real problem.

It is like with cars.

You can make a car engine and run 100 km.

And it is ok.

But to find out if it is really ok you need to run 100 000 km in diffrent modes and seasons and only after that you can say that engine is really good.

In Russia we call this a stress test.

Hi

I have to agree with Borate. Anything that makes a beginner aware of what the effect might look like can be helpful, and, yes. OK have the option to switch it off if it may make some users annoyed.

I wouldn't mind the transition properties to be visible when choosing a transition.......it's more annoying than a small animation to have to re-click the transition to bring up the dialogue box in order to change its duration.

Similarly I wouldn't mind being able to add even a single transition between multiple clips, or random transitions between multiple clips.

Nat

Hi

I have to agree with Borate. Anything that makes a beginner aware of what the effect might look like can be helpful, and, yes. OK have the option to switch it off if it may make some users annoyed.

Nat, I 100% agree that beginners need more information about elements.

But this situation is like with children.

When they are 5 year old they need our help.

But when they are 16 year old our help would hurt them.

And your children say: "Hey, Daddy! I love you, but please, stop, I'm not 5 year old anymore. Just let me live my life myselft"

The same is with this animated tip.

PS. I know it because I am professional web delveloper and produce complex software like CRM and ERP. And I do know that there is a huge difference between interface for new student girl and for expert woman with 3 year of experience.

Software is the same, but interface is always diffrent.

We use the rule: when you add some new feature ALWAYS add and option to configure it or to turn off/on.

And in all our products we have so called options profiles.

If you are newbee just load Profile for newbees and options would be set for minimum interface elements and everyting is simple.

If you are professional just load Profile for professionals and you can see all elements.

And of course, everybody can tune up software for itself and save custom options.

This approach is used in IDE for coders.

Everycoder wants to tune IDE for itself and save personal settings.

The same is with Videopad, because I think that editing movies is a kind of coding, but coders work with text of program code and editors work with clips and images, but it is very like visual coding.

I wouldn't mind the transition properties to be visible when choosing a transition.......it's more annoying than a small animation to have to re-click the transition to bring up the dialogue box in order to change its duration.

Nat, you don't need to relick dialog because length of transition can be changed visually by dragging orange line between clips. And you can easyliy adjust transition without opening dialog.

Similarly I wouldn't mind being able to add even a single transition between multiple clips, or random transitions between multiple clips.

Nat, you can do it now!

Just select clips you want add transition by holding SHIFT + Click

in top menu choose Transition and chose transition you want to add

In popup dialog choose Apply to all

In Options dialog on Editing tab you can set parameter Default transition duration

Hi

"Nat, you don't need to relick dialog because length of transition can be changed visually by dragging orange line between clips. And you can easyliy adjust transition without opening dialog."

Thanks for pointing that out. :) NCH have re-implemented it! Hadn't noticed as last few versions had it disabled. (Earlier ones did allow it.) Mind you, using the ends of the transition bar to adjust the length now keeps it centred on the clip join. Previously you could drag either end into any position relative to the join so transition length on each clip could be varied.This was useful from time to time. But then I still think the control for the duration should be available at the time the transition is applied. Remember that the default value iunder Options will change if you enter a different value in the transition selection window. I mentioned this in a previous post. The changes made in the transition selection window should only affect the particular transition selected ..not the default vale as well. If you back arrow the transition change, the default value doesn't change back either.

Transitions for multiple clips/images....

"Just select clips you want add transition by holding SHIFT + Click

in top menu choose Transition and chose transition you want to add

In popup dialog choose Apply to all

In Options dialog on Editing tab you can set parameter Default transition duration"

I am aware of the default transition setting :) but forgot about "Apply to all.." from the top menu option as ..

1) The specific dialogue box doesn't come up until you have clicked about a bit...(not readily apparent) and....

2) I forgot it WAS there! :wacko: (C-major mentioned it some time back in response to a question.)

Must remember where it is. It's very easy to forget where some of the options are now.

Nat