What does "non-commercial, home use only mean?"

Jessie-Jess

Hello NCH and anyone who can answer.

I have downloaded the free/trial versions of some NCH products, but it asks me to certify that they are being used for non-commercial, home use only. I think I understand non-commercial. It means not for business, as in, I don't make money off of it--correct? But what does the last part mean?

Does it mean that I cannot make a video on the free/trial version of video pad and then upload it to youtube? Does it mean that I cannot convert an audio file to mp3 and then share it with someone? Does it mean I must use it to make something or convert something and then only my eyes and ears can legally see and hear what I have done?

Or does it simply mean that I should not use the product in business, or for commercial purposes, or to use in school or share with others, etc? It seems to me that it means the first and the second. Am I correct?

What about the trial version? When I was making a slideshow for my class in college, I used the trial version of the slideshow maker here (I would have to look it up to see what it's called), and have included the slideshow in my portfolio. Is that a problem? I would like to make things right if it is, and please forgive me.

Thank you.

I had read the license terms, but it hadn't answered my question, which is why I ask. So does that mean that even if I am using the free version, then it is ok for me to upload my videos on youtube? An online search result seemed to suggest the opposite, so I was hoping for a clear answer here. I might be willing to buy the software some day (though I cannot make any promises), but now am not in a good position to (finances, getting a different computer, moving, etc), but would like to use the video pad editor for recording and editing youtube videos :).

Thank you for your help.

• 10 months later...

I am wondering the same... I'm new to Youtube and have just donwloaded the free non-commercial version of VideoPad editing software for editing my Youtube videos. Is it legal to use the software and download videos to Youtube ??

Please help me...

Thank you in advance

• 1 year later...

I have the same question. I want to use this program or any free program to create a YouTube or facebook video. I'm not making money off my YouTube account and plan on purchasing a program once I find one that I can learn and like.

I also had a huge technical issue. I created a video and then my computer did some sort of system update and I lost it just before uploading. Is the file somewhere on my computer or is it lost for good?  Any kind of automatic save function for such issues? 

Hello Katie Hilmer, as N_C_H_josh has stated before, if your videos on YouTube have advertisings then you should use the Master's edition, and regarding the video you had lost, only if the project was saved is that you would be able to recover it, and currently, VideoPad does not have an autosave option.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have the free edition and I just want to upload a youtube video for my channel that is not monetized in any way whatsoever. I have the free version but when I go to save it as anything other than a .vpj file it says I have to buy the professional version. Is there any way for me to get past this or should I just look for another video editor? When my birthday comes in a few weeks I'd like to get the professional version but I don't see why I should have to if you said previously that the free one would be ok to use.

Please get back to me asap, thank you

Just now, kenro said:

I have the free edition and I just want to upload a youtube video for my channel that is not monetized in any way whatsoever. I have the free version but when I go to save it as anything other than a .vpj file it says I have to buy the professional version. Is there any way for me to get past this or should I just look for another video editor? When my birthday comes in a few weeks I'd like to get the professional version but I don't see why I should have to if you said previously that the free one would be ok to use.

Please get back to me asap, thank you

I also realized that the post was from 2016 so maybe times have changed in that aspect. I really like this editor and will buy it but that's a lot of money for me to pay and not get anything except entertainment from. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there;

What does Non-commercial home use only mean? I downloaded and installed the software in order to take an audiobook from a cd that I own and make it into one big M4B file. I have made it through a couple of converts when I get the message that I can only convert 5 files at a time. That is fine, so I do the 5 and proceed to do either 2 or 3 files at a time. I have now received the message that I can only convert one more file. What gives?

• 5 months later...

I couldn't find anything in the Terms about non-profit use.  I think that falls under the category of non-commercial, but I would like clarification.  I would like to use Videopad to create videos for our church during the COVID-19 pandemic.  We record the content and then edit and piece it together to upload to Youtube.  There is no advertising and we make no money from the video.  Does that still apply to home/non-commercial?

Also, the words, "home" and "non-commercial" do not appear in the License Terms in the Help | About section

And...in this free version do I have any export filename extension restrictions (mp4, avi, etc.) or limitations on file size limits?

Thanks in advance,

Irv in Florida

Thank you Josh...I appreciate your message.  Is mp4 one of the formats I can export?  I have created 1 mp4 successfully, but there are messages in this thread that mp4 didn't show in the dropdown for the free version.  I just want to know if it's going to go away after a while and not be available.  Other formats will work, but I'd like to be consistant.  Can you list the valid export file extensions or point me to a doc that shows it?

Thanks,

Irv

I have a video that was monetized by individuals whose content was presented in said video.  This video was made with the free/trial edition of the software.  While the video is monetized (again, by other parties), I receive no income from the advertisements, and will not be in the future.  Is this legal?

I appreciate the help!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am currently using the free non commercial Debut.

Yes I enjoy using and the quality is good.

For capturing of a screen, I can only use the computer microphone for audio, which means if my environment is noisy, i will get all the noise in the video.

I cannot change to using the computer internal sound card.

Is this same issue with paid Debut for non commercial use.

What are difference between Free and Paid Debut for non commercial use.

Thanks

Daniel

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Shri: it means you cannot make profit with your videos. If you are going to be paid for the videos, you will be required to purchase a license.

RAL: VideoPad and Debut are two different software. VideoPad is a video editing software, it can record your screen, but it does it through Debut. If you need to record your screen, you need to purchase a license for Debut.

Hi, can a educational charity I help with (not for profit organisation) use the free version to create videos to upload to Facebook and to email out to parents. They would solely be used for distribution information and promote the organisation, no adverts associated with them? Just want to check as I don't want to break the licence. Thanks 

• 1 month later...