Audio track 2

Dazzray

Sometimes when I drag an audio clip from the media bin to Audio track 2 on the sequence, the video clip at that position is moved to the right, creating a gap in the video track. When that happens, I undo the move of the audio clip to get the video clip back where it belongs, re-drag the audio to track 3, and the video does not get moved to the right. I can then often drag the audio clip up from track 3 to track 2 without the video getting moved. This has also happened on lower audio tracks.

Why does the video get moved? Shouldn't the audio on track 2 just mix with or overlay track 1? I'm on Rel 4.10.

Yes, it does happen when there's already other clips on audio track 2. But why should that cause the video to be pushed to the right? The audio on track2 isn't linked to the video, and I'd expect audio on track2 to just overlay. Why can I move the audio up from track3 to track2 without pushing the video to the right? If I can do that, then why can't I just drag from the bin to track2 without pushing video to the right?

When you place a new clip (video or audio) on the time line. If the new clip overlap with an existing clip, the clip will be inserted at the cursor by expending the timeline. All the clips on the timeline will move to right since the timeline expanded.

Hope that make sense.

Well, I understand that, but I'm not sure it makes sense. Why would I want the timeline to be expanded when I drag a sound clip to an overlay track? It makes sense if I move a clip to track1, but I don't think it does when moving to overlay tracks. Am I missing something?

Sometimes when I drag an audio clip from the media bin to Audio track 2 on the sequence, the video clip at that position is moved to the right, creating a gap in the video track. <snip>

Shouldn't the audio on track 2 just mix with or overlay track 1? I'm on Rel 4.10.

If I understand you, yes. This would apply only to adding audio on a separate track If instead audio is overlapped on the same track as existing A/V, then that A/V will move to accommodate it, as "c-major" notes.

Here, there's a track one, both audio and video.

Adding music (as track 2), whether it is dropped at the head of the A/V sequence or somewhere within, does not affect track one. This is the case whether A/V tracks 1 are linked or unlinked.

Dropping an additional audio onto track 2 also does not affect track one. Version 4.10.

Dropping audio onto track 2 when there's video/audio to its right on track1 does often cause track 1 to get pushed right. Same can also can happen when dropping audio to track3 and lower. When that happens, I undo the operation and re-drop the audio to the next lower audio track, whatever its number may be. At times, I've had up to 5 audio tracks. I can usually then drag the dropped clip upwards to an audio track above, if there's an open gap there that it fits into. So, I can always get around the problem, but it's annoying. It is Rel 4.10.

I've tried and had the same result as Borate's. The only case that insertion (right shift) is performed is the new clip overlapping an existing clip on track2. That's because we can't have two clips overlapped in one track.

If your right shifting is caused by a different case, please share screenshots so we can see how it happens.