Can a PNG image be used as a mask?

Keybanger-57

I have used other video editors where I was able to bring in a PNG image that I used as a mask to cover content that I did not want shown on the finished video.

I could drag the PNG image to a new upper layer and move over the content I wanted to cover/mask and then extend and/or re-size the image along the time line for as long as I needed.....repeating the process if necessary during the editing process.

Does VideoPad have a similar function?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Drop the png on a track that's above the background (it's an overlay). Click on the "FX" icon in the png's track to bring it up in the effects window. Click ADD EFFECT, choose and configure one or more to your needs. SAVE.

I can bring the image onto a track but I can't move it anywhere after that. I am definitely missing something but unfortunately it's not as simple for me as you seem to make it sound.

Maybe someone should make a training video for this ?

The other software I used was so user friendly and this one is either too complex or just something I can't get my head around.

Thank you for your help.....I may have to return VideoPad and spend the extra money for the other software.

Yes, there is a learning curve. Perhaps VP has more "bells" than your earlier editor. Developers must be cautious so added features don't cause the program to become too complex for its targeted market.

Your effect is essentially picture-in-picture. But because it employs a transparent png for the higher track (the overlay), the lower track (the background) will show through in the transparent area.

Use a search engine for "Videopad picture-in-picture." Several tutorials and how-to texts will pop up.

As for positioning, select the png track and then click on VIDEO EFFECTS. Among the many choices is POSITION. Click on it. In the preview window, drag the png image to where you want it.

Setting KEYFRAMES (animating) is more complex, allowing infinite variations of position, scale, etc. as the timeline progresses.

These tutorials may help... http://www.nchsoftwa...tml?ref=nchblog

http://help.nchsoftw..._animating.html