Corrupt cache?

jacksonmacd

Had opened a project (about 4 h of video) with multiple short clips identified in the file. Viewed one particular clip successfully. Then set In and Out points for another section and clicked the green down arrow to place it in the sequence. Subsequent attempts to view the original clip failed: all that appeared in the clip preview was a single frame from the afore-mentioned In/Out segment. Tried creating a new project with the same original file, but with the same (unsuccessful) results.

Final resolution was to go into Options > Disk and clear the cache. When I subsequently re-opened the original project, I could successfully view the clip again. However, it takes FOREVER to rebuilt the audio cache, so I can't do any editing before that step is completed.

FYI of the developers - there is a problem with dealing with corrupt caches. Would also be nice to have more granularity of rebuilding the audio caches on large files so that editing can commence before all the caches are rebuilt.

Is there a way to rebuild the preview for a single clip?

I've been editing short sections out of the big file and making individual sequences. Been working well. All of a sudden, the preview for one of the clips became "frozen"; shows just a single frame although the audio is intact.

When I preview the clip, a message is displayed "Building Preview, please wait..." but nothing ever changes. Further, if I set In and Out points and click the Green Down Arrow, I can't play the resulting section in the Sequence. It shows just a single frame.

Other than deleting and rebuilding the cache for the whole file, is there any way to rebuild the preview for the single clip?

There is no "official" way to do so, but we can do what we called a "hack":

1. Click the FX button of the clip you want to re-cache.
  2. Add a Border effect, set the Width to 0.
  3. Click Apply and the cache for that section will be rebuilt.

If you want to cache it again later:

1. Remove the Border effect, and Apply.
  2. When the project still open, select Option->Disk->Clear Unused Cache FIles.
  3. Re-apply the Border effect same as above.

Hope that helps.