Cannot open large wav file

Junya

When I made large wav file with WavePad and save it, cannot open anymore if the file size is larger than about 6.3GB. Got "Error opening the file - Insufficient hard drive space to store the audio" message but the work space was on 1.5TB free HDD (2TB External HDD, USB3.0). Is this insufficient ?

MacbookPro11,1 Intel Core i5 2.4GHz Memory 4GB, Yosemite 10.10.4

Free WavePad app

96KHz/24bit wav file

Is this product specification ? or a bug ? or it needs disc space more ? Just curious.

Guest Alex Chapman

Hi,

I've heard of one other user having problems using a big external drive as their working folder. We're investigating to see what might be causing the issue. In the mean time you could try switching your working folder back to your main drive. In general it isn't ideal to use a USB drive as WavePad's working folder because even a USB3 connection can be slower than an onboard hard drive.

Alex

Guest Alex Chapman

Hi Junya,

We've not yet had any luck reproducing the problem you reported. Can I confirm with you that you have changed WavePad's working folder to one on your external HDD, the one with plenty of space? Can you double-check that the change of working folder has taken effect by looking in Options > Audio > Audio Working Folder?

The error message you are getting is consistent with having a working folder on a drive with very little space remaining. And by very little, I mean not enough to safely work with the huge files you're talking about, so it could have 10GB free and still not have enough space.

Alex