Unable to do a simple clip with version 4.08

heritage972

Instructions (Help) for Video Pad seem to have significant differences from Version 4.08. The screen shots have similar buttons but not quite like the ones I see. I can set start and end points from the menu but can't clip the video. Anyone spot what I am missing?

Welcome to the forum and sorry for the inconvenience.

Yes, our online help seems outdated because some of the GUI elements are being work on and will be changed soon.

We'll update the online help online as soon as we finish the changes.

At the meantime please feel free to post question on the forum. There are many experienced users here can help you with the problems.

Best regards,

Hi

Version 4.08

There are several ways to edit a video clip.

The simplest method, once you have added the clip to the media list is to drag and drop it onto Video track 1 of the timeline, (or click it in the media list window and add it to the timeline with the menu options)

On the time line you can either play it to the point where you want to clip it, or drag the red cursor line to this point or click the position on the blue bar beneath the time indicators

Once you have the red line positioned, simply split the clip using the button on the left beneath the preview window that looks like two batteries side by side.

Now move to the end of the section you want to remove and repeat the procedure.

In effect you have split the clip at the IN and OUT points.

Now right click the central portion to select it and choose Delete from the menu to remove it.

This leaves a gap so right click the gap end select Close Gap in Track to pull the edited clip together.

You can also edit the clip before adding it to the timeline or even when you have added it to the timeline.

Left click the clip in the media list window and it will appear in the preview screen. (Clip Preview)

Under this is a green bar with red and blue IN/OUT markers which look like brackets.

Drag the red (IN) marker to your first edit point. Alternatively you can play the clip and stop when the cursor line reaches this point and then click the IN point button (with the red bracket) under the window.

For the OUT point you can drag the blue marker to the end of the edit (or play the clip further and click the OUT point button (with the blue bracket).

This will isolate a section of the clip as shown by the now shorter green bar.

To place the selected portion of your clip onto the timeline click the button under the preview pane with the green down arrow and film icon on it.

This places your selection on the timeline and changes the preview to show the Sequence preview. (If you already have clips on the timeline you will get a prompt asking where you want the selection to be placed.)

To make further edits from the same clip you must reselect it from the media list and reset the IN/OUT points (which you will note have remained in their previous positions making it simple to repeat a sequence.)

Obviously don't place the OUT point before the IN point...:-)

Nat

Thanks to both replies. I appreciate your time. Unfortunately, the instructions are essentially the same as those on about 5 sites I looked at before asking. That included at least two on the NCH website. Nothing works. I wonder if the program is compatible with win 8.1. I used to do simple editing with previous versions of the NCH VideoPad Video Editor and VLC Media Player under Win 7 Ultimate. My new computer came with Win 8.1 (which works well for me despite a lot of chatter on the web with complaints). I can't edit with either. Just as an example, I open a short 7 second video (*.AVI from a Cannon camera). It plays and I can set the opening and ending points (Red and Blue) but there is no way to clip. If I drag it to the Video timeline, there are only the last two seconds.

The program is free so I don't feel comfortable complaining. I am sure some smart people spent a lot of time on it and are proud of their work. Too bad it doesn't work for me.

VP has no problem in W8.1, so that's not likely the issue.

What happens if you FIRST drag a clip to the timeline (or right-click|place on timeline), without first editing it? Is the entire clip transferred?

If so, that would hint that your prior method of editing prior to placing on the timeline was not performed correctly?

Confusion can arise when later VP versions operate somewhat differently than their predecessors.

Hi

In Clip preview mode (obtained by clicking the clip on the media list)......do you get the Green Down Arrow button (Place clip on sequence)?

Note that if you select the clip from the timeline and view in Clip Preview mode, it does not show this button.

Have you tried editing the clip directly from the timeline as outlined above,,,this should work without needing the IN/OUT markers which is where you seem to have your problem?

"If I drag it to the Video timeline, there are only the last two seconds."

If you have applied the IN/OUT markers to your clip in Clip Preview, then even if you don't use/see the Green Down Arrow, you can still drag and drop the clip from the media list window onto the timeline and the selected section should be the bit added.

Is it always the last two seconds or is it the bit from your OUT marker to the end of the clip that you see added?

"Obviously don't place the OUT marker before the IN point..." This mistake can't be made in 4.08 :)

Nat

Thanks Nat. I downloaded some sample mp4 files of various lengths. As far as I can tell, everything you say works perfectly with those files. I still can't edit my .avi files from my Cannon Powershot. The camera is old by modern standards. I will just be more careful when shooting video with that camera.

Your comment that VideoPadEditor works with Win 8.1 seems fine. That was particularly interesting because a VLC developer says that VLC can't edit with Win 8.1.

Again, thanks for your time. Always amazed at the expert help offered on forums like this one. Delay in answering was not lack of interest - out of town and very busy. Back to normal now.