Omni: List of Unresolved Issues with Release 4.08

Omnizoa

Currently testing 4.04 & 4.09

RESOLVED ISSUES:

1.) Custom preview resolutions are more flexible. YES!

UNRESOLVED ISSUES:

1.) Unprovoked SIGNAL10 crashes (Mac OS X 10.6.8).

2.) Unprovoked SIGNAL11 crashes (Mac OS X 10.6.8).

3.) Deleting volume keyframes. Keyframes applied to audio volume (not audio effects) can only be deleting through undo. As soon as changes are confirmed, the undo option becomes unavailable.

4.) Subtitle creation starts at the last subtitles created. Only the first subtitles you create in a given project use the timeline's position as the start of the new subtitles. Opening the subtitles window any time after the first subtitles are created immediately jumps to the last subtitles created and discards the current timeline position. This significantly increases timeline scrolling in projects with multiple subtitles.

5.) No Remove Split. Split clips cannot be unsplit except through undo.

6.) Unlink Audio doesn't work. Unlink Audio still does not separate audio from linked video. The option is greyed out any time video is selected.

7.) Video procossing bars do not persist across all clips. The green progress bars that appear above video clips as they're processing do not appear above all processing clips. This is inconsistent.

8.) No processing bars for Audio clips. Audio clips do not even have the "Processing..." text that they had in 4.04. Green progress bars as in the case of video clips would be helpful indicators.

9.) Clip speed is locked to relative percentages. There is no option to change a clip's speed to fit within a fixed span of time (for example, change a 2:02 second clip to last for 7:21 seconds).

10.) Video clips do not clip cleanly. Supposing the video clip contains shots from multiple camera angles; if the timeline is scrolled to the very first frame of a shot and split, the latter of the two clips will begin with the very first frame of that shot, HOWEVER if the timeline is scrolled to the very last frame of a shot and split, the prior of the two clips will end with several frames of the latter (this appears in exported videos too, not just previews). It appears to be impossible to position a split perfectly between two shots to create two clips without the first containing residual frames of the second. NO!

NEW ISSUES:

1.) Timeline is too busy. There is no option to disable FX, Fade In, or Transition buttons on the timeline and the addition of frame previews in minimized video tracks make it more clustered than ever increasing the zooming and precision necessary to simply select a clip.

2.) Cannot select tracks by track names. In 4.04, tracks could be selected by clicking the track names to the left of the timeline, now in 4.08, clicking them does nothing. In order to select a track that track must be clicked in the timeline which offsets the cursor, most likely throwing off the the position you were trying to paste new clips into.

DESIRED FEATURES:

1.) Shake/Earthquake video filter. A filter imitating a vibration in the video with an intensity slider, optional cropping, and maybe the ability to switch between differing vibration styles (vertical only, horizontal only, shaky/handheld cam, earthquake).

Will update list where appropriate.

Edited by Omnizoa

Like I said, it's unprovoked. Ever since I started in the 3.XX series I've been getting them on Mac OS X 10.6.8 with both OpenGL Hardware Accelerated Rendering and Software Rendering. I send a bug report less than half the time I get them since VideoPad is CPU intensive enough without attempting to launch Firefox mid-crash, but that's still a lot of bug reports that redirect me to an update which still does not fix the problem.

I generally get SIGNAL11 crashes too, but nothing seems to uniquely provoke either. Simply scrolling through the timeline, opening the subtitles window, or just letting the preview play is enough to trigger it, though it rarely ever seems to occur at the same time or in the same way.

At the very least it never seems to occur while I'm away from the computer.

Sonjoy asked me to use a Debug VideoPad 4.07 and send them the trace files when it crashed which it did, so I did. Evidently that didn't help anything.

...alright... I have found a pattern that causes 4.08 to SIGNAL10 crash every time. I have a 4 hour video and 4 hour audio track synced up and playing with small edits interspersed here and there. One particular edit I clipped into a section spanning about 15 seconds which I've copied and pasted into a new sequence. Every time I attempt to export that 15 seconds, it successfully exports the video file, but then immediately hits me with a SIGNAL10 crash as soon as I click "OK" from the "Your movie has been successfully created" window.

Obviously providing an "example file" is out the window here.

I'm afraid not.

Actually it seems any time I export from this particular project it triggers a SIGNAL10 crash.

EDIT: In fact, I keep trying to export the same video and it keeps failing te export as it appears in the preview. One of my clips clearly ends at a specific point in the timeline, but when I export it the resulting video shows the clip pesisting well after it was supposed to end.

VideoPad is becoming increasingly frustrating. If it isn't the crashes, it's the corrupt exports, if it's not the corrupt exports it's the absolutely infuriating failure to clip video where indicated by the preview. Is it too much to ask for the preview to ACCURATELY show me what I'm working with?

Hi Omni,

It would be very helpful if you can share the problematic project files, including media files, on DropBox. If they are too big, try Google Drive.

If you do not want to post the link on forum, you can PM macfly or me.

If your project/media files are in different folders, you can use File->Backup Project Files to Folder put them into one folder. You can also compress the folder into a single file for easy uploading.

Thanks,

...alright... I have found a pattern that causes 4.08 to SIGNAL10 crash every time. I have a 4 hour video and 4 hour audio track synced up and playing with small edits interspersed here and there. One particular edit I clipped into a section spanning about 15 seconds which I've copied and pasted into a new sequence. Every time I attempt to export that 15 seconds, it successfully exports the video file, but then immediately hits me with a SIGNAL10 crash as soon as I click "OK" from the "Your movie has been successfully created" window.

I attempted to replicate this but it doesn't crash in current released ver 4.09. Did the following

1. Added 10 minute clip in the sequence #1

2. Added a Color Curves effect to the clip in sequence

3. Split at 5:00 and at 5:15 to create a 15 second section

4. Copied that section and pasted into sequence #2

5. Exported sequence #2 without problem

Does the original sequence clip where you copied the 15 sec section from have any effects? If yes could you please mention them here?

Did the original sequence clip have an audio track?

I didn't know 4.09 came out. It's not on this page by the way: http://www.nchsoftwa...d/versions.html

Also, it kinda sucks that you don't have a direct Mac download on that page, just a redirection to the Mac App Store.

ANYWAY, that sequence did have effects. It was two video clips with the uppermost being a still image which I faded in with 'Transparency' for 3 seconds (during which I faded out two audio clips), and then held on the still image for another 3 seconds before cutting back to the original unedited video clip with additional accompanying audio track.

Transparency usually works fine for me, I use it a lot, but this isn't the first time a video I've exported a video with false edits.

Been working in 4.09 and it seems apparent that the more complicated the project I'm working on the more frequent the crashes. I'm seriously getting crashes in under 1 minute after launch sometimes on a project that's 40 minutes long with probably well over 100 edits in it.

Dare I suggest that it could be related to VideoPad running at peaks of 227.5% of my CPU according to Activity Monitor? Do I have to overclock my computer for it to run properly? Cause I'm not doing that.

I've never seen an application on my computer run at over 100% of my CPU at all times, every time.

EDIT: Well, it seems the video that I couldn't get to export properly in 4.08 exports just fine in 4.04.

We are running background threads to decode the video for generating cache. Before the caching finish I would expect CPU is fully used - so we can finish caching faster.

To identify and fix the crash we need to reproduce it. It would be the best if we can get the problem project to try on. Do you have a smaller project that can re-produce the crash?

That seems to be the problem, all of my projects begin crashing most when they're at least half an hour long and pulling from numerous larger video sources several gigs in size. Only twice have I been able to reproduce a crash 100% of the time, but they're prohibitively large to upload. Do you know of any free fast place I could upload such a file?

Google Drive have 15G free space. But it can never be fast for files have a size of gigs.

I wouldn't recommend you to upload those files. Could you just shard the .vpj file first (without the media clips)? I assume the issue doesn't related to what clip you are using.

• 1 month later...

Can someone explain to me why I can't use high resolution images? It seems any time I import an image wider or taller than the video, the image scales down to fit the video. Any attempts to restore it's original size with Video Effects such as Zoom or Scale just blow up the image from the resolution it was shrunk to.

I have a 500dpi 3000x3000 image and it looks terrible in my exported video.