vbphelps

I am sure this is not the room I am recording in, I have had the room tested but I do have a problem ........ I have recorded a chapter of material and I have listened back from time to time taking out breathes ect... but I will save,then add some more then go back and the 1st part has like an echoey sound ( I guess you could call it distortion) the 2 nd problem I am having when that is not happening, is if I upload a file to another site, on my computer the audio sounds good and normal, when I up load and play back it has that echoey sound to it, so it makes it sound bad.

so any thoughts or help to fix it ? thank you

Hi there,

Could you give a little bit more detail on your workflow? Try to be as specific as possible about the order in which you are doing things, what you are doing and what file formats you are using. For example, when you say "taking out breaths" how exactly are you doing that? Are you performing all of your edits on a lossless file format like .wav or are you editing an mp3? If you are making edits to an mp3 file, then everytime you save the file and reopen it, you are recompressing the file and this will definitely result in a loss of quality.

Regards,

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a similar issue. I am recording raw vocals being captured on my computer with WavePad. The audio is pretty good except for some background noise. So to remove the low-level hum noise I do the "Noise Reduction" by grabbing a sample of the noise, and then doing a Spectral Subtraction.

It removed the background noise near-perfectly, except that now there are times my vocals have a weird echo-like sound to them. Almost as though I recorded inside a tunnel or something. I know this is being caused by the Noise Reduction function, as the vocals before that was fine.

Hi VMW,

Unfortunately the process of noise reduction is not perfect and some degradation to the overall signal is unavoidable. It is a case of experimenting with your recording until you find a good compromise between reduced background noise and the clarity of your vocals.

One idea for you is if the hum you are talking about is a very predictable frequency, such as a power supply hum or other types of line noise, then you may be able to apply a notch filter to your recording with less damage to your overall signal.

Regards,

Ben

i am recording I have a 4033 audio technical microphone, with a 2i2 interface, I record, I save in MP3 and then but not all the time,... I come back to add to the piece and the section before it not has echo

in it // before there is any normalization or any thing. so I am not sure what is going on. I have cut off my speakers and head phone are on both ears. If you can help me understand that would great.

I have noticed to if I use the normalizer it may to something similar. but that is not my main trouble,

thank you for your help

Hi vbphelps,

Saving your work as an mp3 and then returning to edit it later is not a good workflow and will result in the quality of your file decreasing every time you save it - this may be the cause of the problem you are describing.

You should always try to store your original files in a lossless format like FLAC or wav. Here is an example of what I believe to be a good workflow:

1. Make a recording the same way you are doing now.

2. Save your recording as myrec.wav

3. Make any edits you want on the file

4. Save your edited file as myrec_1.wav

5. Now save an mp3 version so you have your recording in a small useful format --> myrec_1.mp3

Now, let's say you decide you need to make some changes to the recording:

1. Open the file myrec_1.wav

2. Make your changes

3. Save the file as myrec_2.wav

4. Now make an mp3 version --> myrec_2.mp3

With this workflow, your mp3 files will always have consistent quality compared with each other and you will also have some historical back-ups you can use if you need.

Regards,

Ben