Problems with v-6.18

kennywally

been a while since I last posted here.

recently downloaded v6.18

and a cpl things just jumped out at me

1. after saving a file, the save button does NOT gray out!!!

2. when compressing , it actually increases the file size and does not compress it!!

3. the automatic gain cotrol seems to do what the compressing should actually do!!! is it possibly the functions are reversed between gain control and compression?

that's all for now

kw

Guest Alex Chapman

Hi kw,

1. after saving a file, the save button does NOT gray out!!!

Yes, this is by design, to be more consistent with other programs such as Microsoft Word. Saving still works.

2. when compressing , it actually increases the file size and does not compress it!!

Are you referring here to the Dynamic Range Compressor? This is a tool to change output levels based on input levels. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression or https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep09/articles/compressionmadeeasy.htm . This is similar to but more versatile than AGC. Both of these should have no effect on file size for .wav files, but may have subtle effects on file size for compressed files such as mp3 and flac. If what you want is smaller file size then look at the format you use when saving the file.

Alex

Hi kw,

Yes, this is by design, to be more consistent with other programs such as Microsoft Word. Saving still works.

Are you referring here to the Dynamic Range Compressor? This is a tool to change output levels based on input levels. See https://en.wikipedia...nge_compression or https://www.soundons...ionmadeeasy.htm . This is similar to but more versatile than AGC. Both of these should have no effect on file size for .wav files, but may have subtle effects on file size for compressed files such as mp3 and flac. If what you want is smaller file size then look at the format you use when saving the file.

Alex

let me re-phrase

visually, looking at the file, using compression, it does not shrink in size while looking at the wavform but grows and gets larger....not to be confused with more MB for the file size.

Hi kw,

In the term "Dynamic Range Compression", the compression refers to the volume range of the audio you are editing. It is used to bring the loudest parts and the quietest parts closer together thereby reducing (compressing) the dynamic range of the audio. This means that running a DRC can reduce the output of the loud parts of your audio and boost the quiet parts. I highly recommend reading through the link that Alex posted to Wikipedia's explanation on the subject.

Exactly what happens when you apply a compressor depends on two main things. First of all, the settings you are using in the compressor and secondly, the audio signal you are compressing. If you open the DRC in WavePad and click the "Default" button, you should see that the DRC curve is just a diagonal line running from bottom left to top right. Applying this curve should have no effect on an audio signal. The reason for this is that the "dB in" value (horizontal axis) and the "dB out" value (vertical axis) are identical at all points on the curve. Knowing this, you can now target exactly how you want to compress the range. You may wish to boost the bottom and cut the top or just one or the other.

I hope this makes sense. If you need further explanation then please let me know. Maybe include a screenshot of your DRC curve?

Regards,

Ben