video clip length

dinwitty

I'm working on a rarther large project, and my video files are like 29 minutes in length, I am using a differrent software to work the video but if doesn't have good clip manipulation, so I decided to start digging the net for something that works. VideoPad looks like its very effective in dealing with clipping, cutting/manipulating.

I grabbed the latest free version (vpsetup 4.0 ) and tried it and was very impressed.

but my test video is 29 minutes long, 5.4 gigs in size, 720x480 size.

tested some clipping, and yeppers, very cool, pop out a snippet of video. however, my clip is not 29 minutes long, it is 4 minutes, 57 seconds long. duh...

is this a limitation of the free version, I'm not seeing any references to all the limitations the free version might have.

Hi,

The free version is not restricted in length of the video.

Some editing features could effect the length of the output. E.g. the In and Out point (in the Clip Preview window) of the Sequence:

3pmghwgncm.jpg

Best regards,

deleting and loading the 29 minute clip again and again, ends up 4:57 (min/sec)

Shoving those arrows only shortens it up further. It looks like they position at the ends of the vid clip and you can shorten your clip (29 minutes it should be) but its...4:57. Thats from clip start to the 4:57 of the clip which should actually be 29 minutes long.....

HI

Videopad is a very comprehensive editing package with alternative ways of doing things that take a little time to learn. If you are new to the software it is probably best to consider that you are dealing with actual film rather than digital media.

If your clip is 29 minutes in length and you have added it to VP it will be shown in the media list window. You can edit it here if you wish as if you select it, it will appear in the Clip preview pane. which has IN/OUT markers associated with it that allows you to select a section to incorporate in your video sequence.

However it is more intuative (when you are starting out) to grab your 29 min clip in the media list window then drag and drop it onto Video Track 1.where it now becomes a timeline sequence and will remain 29 mins in length.(There is the menu option to add it to the sequence line as well)

You can now treat it like a piece of film. Drag the red cursor line to the place where you want to cut it and press the Split button which is under the preview pane This splits the sequence at that point into two clips, either of which you can select and delete. You can also move the cursor to a second point and repeat the procedure. You can again select any one of the sections or new clips you create in this way and remove(delete) them. The gap created will close automatically. (You may have to select the gap and close it from the menu in v4.00 - I forget) . i.e. it is just as if you are editing with film and is very intuative. Nothing is lost in actual fact as you can simply add the clip again from the media list or lengthen any of your edited sections already onj the sequence line by dragging out the cut ends to restore deleted bits.

What may be happening with your clip is...that if you select any clip it will preview in the Clip Preview window which has, as mentioned above, IN/OUT markers associated with it. By placing these markers at certain points you can also edit a clip and have it automatically placed on the sequence line. The markers however may remain in their old positions and consequently VP will edit the next clip selected at these positions again if you don't reset them. This method of editing a clip can be faster that cutting the sequence line like film but takes a little time to get used to. If you are new to VP try what I suggest, treat it like a piece of film and see how you get on.

Nat

It sounds really strange. May I ask a few questions:

• Is it 4:57 in the Clip Preview or after exported?
  • It is uncommon that a 720x480 video in half an hour has a size of 5.4G. What format of the video file?
  • Have you tried open the file using a video player like Windows Media Player or VLC?
  • Have you tried other video files in VideoPad?
  • How much empty space on your hard drive?

it is 4:57 in the clip area on the left. previewing is 4:57. I don't doubt the software editing can handle large lengths, its the clip loading in the media box that seems to be chopping off length. I have already tested clipping out a short bit of the video for testing purposes, thats fine, I did that, understood that right off. (done a lot of editing here guys on lots of video/audio/real A/B roll professional, 8mm/16mm film) 65 gigs available in my test video area. Is there a trem clip storage are that need modding or what?

Video is a transfer from 8mm, using AVI format, no compression.

I usually use media player classic, but the clip runs in the editor.

Is it possible to upload the file to us (via DropBox or Google Drive or other file sharing services and then PM me the link)?

We give free license for the full version to people that help us identify and fix issues in the software.

Thanks,

I understand that it would be a pain to upload even a few megabytes using 56k.

Please try download and use this small tool (it's free and open-source) and post the information here instead: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Once you installed the tool, right click on the avi file and select MediaInfo. And then choose File->Export->Text, specify the path and then click OK, that should give you a txt file on the disk.

Please post the text here so we can have some detailed information.

Here's an example:

General

Unique ID : 243933866481882333059791421966844516490 (0xB783F42BA19FE4E8AB616F133561588A)

Complete name : C:\Users\User\Videos\test.mkv

Format : Matroska

Format version : Version 4 / Version 2

File size : 3.36 MiB

Duration : 12s 757ms

Overall bit rate : 2 210 Kbps

Writing application : Lavf55.33.100

Writing library : Lavf55.33.100

Video

ID : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : High@L4.0

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames

Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

Duration : 12s 739ms

Width : 1 920 pixels

Height : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate mode : Constant

Frame rate : 26.455 fps

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Progressive

Writing library : x264 core 125 r2209 68dfb7b

Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=4 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=23.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Default : Yes

Forced : No

Audio

ID : 2

Format : AAC

Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec

Format profile : LC

Codec ID : A_AAC

Duration : 12s 757ms

Channel(s) : 2 channels

Channel positions : Front: L R

Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Compression mode : Lossy

Default : Yes

Forced : No

here ya goes...

General

Complete name : H:\765builtfiles\765p2.avi

Format : AVI

Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave

Commercial name : DV

Format profile : OpenDML

File size : 5.20 GiB

Duration : 25mn 52s

Overall bit rate mode : Constant

Overall bit rate : 28.8 Mbps

Video

ID : 0

Format : DV

Bit rate mode : Constant

Bit rate : 24.4 Mbps

Encoded bit rate : 28.8 Mbps

Width : 720 pixels

Height : 480 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 4:3

Frame rate : 29.970 fps

Standard : NTSC

Chroma subsampling : 4:1:1

Scan type : Interlaced

Scan order : Bottom Field First

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.357

Stream size : 5.20 GiB (100%)

Audio

ID : 0-0

Format : PCM

Muxing mode : DV

Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #1

Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps

Encoded bit rate : 0 bps

Bit depth : 16 bits

Stream size : 284 MiB (5%)

Encoded stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Update:

We've found the problem is that the codec (a 3rd-party component) we are using does not support OpenDML.

OpenDML is an extension format to allow .avi files store video streams bigger then 2GB - a legacy limitation for .avi files.

We found that the new version of the codec has this bug fixed. However it will take us much longer to test and replace the new codec component.

• 1 month later...

the video has gone thru an editor commercially but may have retained the codec, the editor software may have converted to a compatible codec, the camera was used for frame by frame transfer slow speed from 8mm film thru a computer system using a frame grab software. easy 10 gig sized original raw videos.

This is why I would post a shortie clip for you.

• 6 months later...

@dinwitty

We've updated the codec but not sure if this problem get fixed since we couldn't find any sample file to test on. Have you tried the latest version?

Update: I just tried a 5GB avi with OpenDML format, works fine in the latest version.

• 5 months later...

Has this been fixed in the Mac OS version as well?

I am running version 4.49 of VideoPad Video Editor Free and I am running into the 4 minute, 56 second issue described above for large AVI files.

• 2 months later...

this is what loads to 4 minutes, its the same as above I think

General

Complete name : E:\newvids\765p2.avi

Commercial name : DV

Format profile : OpenDML

File size : 5.20 GiB

Overall bit rate mode : Constant

Overall bit rate : 28.8 Mbps

Video

Format : DV

Bit rate : 24.4 Mbps

Encoded bit rate : 28.8 Mbps

Display aspect ratio : 4:3

Frame rate : 29.970 fps

Standard : NTSC

Chroma subsampling : 4:1:1

Scan type : Interlaced

Scan order : Bottom Field First

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.357

Stream size : 5.20 GiB (100%)

Audio

ID : 0-0

Format : PCM

Muxing mode : DV

Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #1

Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps

Encoded bit rate : 0 bps

Bit depth : 16 bits

Stream size : 284 MiB (5%)

Encoded stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)

this is my raw video capture, this loads full.

General

Complete name : D:\videos_15_16_fps\a765a12_15_16_fps.avi

File size : 52.3 GiB

Duration : 30mn 5s

Overall bit rate : 249 Mbps

Video

Format : RGB

Codec ID : 0x00000000

Codec ID/Info : Basic Windows bitmap format. 1, 4 and 8 bpp versions are palettised. 16, 24 and 32bpp contain raw RGB samples

Duration : 30mn 5s

Source duration : 2mn 14s

Bit rate : 18.5 Mbps

Display aspect ratio : 3:2

Frame rate : 30.000 fps

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.784

Stream size : 3.89 GiB (7%)

Title : a765a12_15_16_fps.avi Video #1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've got the same problem!

I've just installed VideoPad as I was fed up with Widows Movie Maker not doing what I want unless you buy a license! I've imported a new video to Videopad, and it plays to 4 minutes 7 seconds and then stops. When I imported it into Widows Movie Maker the video is 20 Minutes and 36 seconds. The file is a .avi file and is 4.3 GB in size.

Can you help me get beyond the 4 minutes 7 seconds mark?

Thanks

Chris