GIF images and conversion .avi FILES.

Nationalsolo

Hi

I know VP converts GIF images to .avi frames, as the procedure is generally used for adding animated gif files to the media list ("Add images as video" option). However, there are times when it is useful to add an actual GIF image as a single item. Unfortunately (unless I have missed something) when you do this, it arrives as a single .avi frame with a duration of 0.1 second. As this is not now an image file this duration cannot be altered and in this form is quite useless.

Is it possible to include an option that enable the user to add a single gif image as an image..even if is converted to a png (and perhaps retaining any transparency properties,)

or at least a jpg?

Nat

Hi Borate

That's odd..... I have just created a title using a graphics package that outputs (with many others,) a CIS (.gif) format image. This arrives as a .gif in the PC destination folder. If I load this .gif into VP using Add File it arrives on the media list as an .avi....... :( with a duration of 0:00:00:010 (actually shorter than I mentioned in my first post) which is a bit useless..in fact you can't see it unless you zoom in or use Storyboard mode and the value can't be altered or the timeline TN be pulled out longer.

OK..I could have created a .jpg etc, but I wanted to test a single .gif.

Another point is that I can create .gif images with transparent areas but as VP converts these to .avis of useless duration there is no transparency either. )Unfortiunately my graphics package can't output .png images :( .)

However I have now just checked an actual animated .gif (created with Microsoft GIF animator) that loaded OK as .gif. file to the media list and it also played OK but without looping obviously

That's why I wondered if VP could be altered so a single .gif could be loaded to the media list like a png with transparency properties and with the default image duration that could be controlled. Even as a jpg it would be better than a useless .avi.

See a previous post here... http://nch.invisionz...-image-problem/

Nat

Yes, it seems GIF are treated as animated (video) even only have a single frame.

I'll look into it see if we can handle single frame GIF separately (very likely we can).

For now you can convert GIF to PNG by using Windows Paint (included in Windows).

Best regards,

Hi Sam

"For now you can convert GIF to PNG by using Windows Paint (included in Windows"

Thanks Sam. The problem I have with this is that the resulting png is not transparent. I have a nice .gif title created with my graphics package (that has a huge selection of attractive fonts etc.but can't output png images). The attractive .gif is sitting on my desktop with a nice clear background and I have converted it to a png with paint as you suggest.

:( Unfortunately this, when loaded to VP it has an opaque white background. I don't use Paint much so perhaps I missed something. I'll have another go..... No... apparently no transparent settings for png...

Later...

The NCH program Pixillion did the conversion easily!! So I can still make complicated images/texts with my program...produce a transparent .gif and then convert it to a transparent .png. :D

Nat