Failed video recordings due to Debut freeze ups and other things

vdeegan

Hi,

I purchased Debut Video Capture software. I had several probems with it when trying to record live webinars. I attempted to record 5 differenet webinars as scheduled, unattended recordings. If I remember correctly, only 2 of the recordings made it to the end without crashing or freezing. Those 2 that made it to the end still had problems with the quality such as delays in sound and/or video.

The recordings that did freeze or crash would get some kind of error like "Your computer is overloaded" or something like that. On one of the freezes, I got no error message at all and it seemed okay at first. But, when playing it, there was no sound, and the webinar somehow lost connection to my computer early on in the webinar never to connect again for the rest of the webinar. Whether that was due to another computer overload or not, I don't know.

I did try reducing the frame rate by the 2nd or 3rd webinar, but it didn't seem to help much. I also tried changing the Debut schedule to start before the browser started thinking it might be less likely to overload the system. But, it still failed. After failure of the final webinar, I tried to look even deeper into the local and online help to see if there were some issues I missed. At first, I wondered if the fact that I'm still running Win XP SP3 was the cause. But, I think I remember that the NCH documentation said that Win XP was still supported by Debut. Then, further into the Help documentaion, I noticed that Video codecs might be a concern. So, I went to the Microsoft site for all supported video codecs. I changed the default codex to a codex I saw in the Microsoft list (MPEG 4). And the Microsoft site also had some bot pop up, called the "Fix it" utility and that it could check for any questionable codecs in my system. It found the "Indeo" codex. So, I let it disable it. That's all I've done so far and won't have any idea if that fixed my original problem until I try my next webinar recording. But, from what I mentioned so far, do you think that's all I should do, or are there other solutions you can suggest. My system is: Win XP SP3, Intel Pentium (2.3 ghz), 3gb memory, and 160gb SATA drive.

Thank you for any help.

Vince Deegan

vdeegan@yahoo.com