How to crop for scope 720x304 from 1280x720 with black borders for 1280x576

daorus

here is

3483qqu.png

Here how I tried and tortuned myself to crop this here

fdbnea.png

and after crop I do not understand and do not see how it croped - with black lines or without

I also tried to change preview size to 720 * 304 but it draws my video like you see maked with green

and to the left and to the right it is fileed with transparency

2nhdumf.png

And so the ugly results I got after exporting

xm0uia.png

So, what would you recommend to solve my task

Input I have 1280x720 with black lines with 1280x576 picture

output I want 720*304 cropped at the top of bottom black line

Hi

"How to crop for Scope 720 x 304 from 1280 x 720 with black borders for 1280 x 576"

Although you say you want a 720 pixel width clip , It doesn't appear from your images that you want to actually CROP the width of your image...but just reduce the height to produce an aspect ratio of 2.36 but not lose the bottom of the image..

VP will always fill the frame with the longest side of the image...so you don't need to crop your clip/image at all .......

Try this...

Place your full 1280 x 720 clip on the time line Track 1

Place a blank black clip on the overlay video Track 2. and adjust it to the same duration.

Add the crop effect to this blank image.

Don't change the AR...keep it at "None"

Just set the value of Y2% to 24.8

(For an aspect ratio of 2.36 the width would be 1280 and height would be 542 pixels

Thus height would be (542/720)*100 = 75.2% of original height for the 1280 width

This a reduction of 100-752 = 24.8%)

I think this should give you what you are looking for.

i.e. A full width clip of 1280 x 542 = AR of 2.36. with just the top of the frame cropped (Covered by the overlay).

Nat

Hi

"How to crop for Scope 720 x 304 from 1280 x 720 with black borders for 1280 x 576"

Although you say you want a 720 pixel width clip , It doesn't appear from your images that you want to actually CROP the width of your image...but just reduce the height to produce an aspect ratio of 2.36 but not lose the bottom of the image..

VP will always fill the frame with the longest side of the image...so you don't need to crop your clip/image at all .......

Try this...

Place your full 1280 x 720 clip on the time line Track 1

Place a blank black clip on the overlay video Track 2. and adjust it to the same duration.

Add the crop effect to this blank image.

Don't change the AR...keep it at "None"

Just set the value of Y2% to 24.8

(For an aspect ratio of 2.36 the width would be 1280 and height would be 542 pixels

Thus height would be (542/720)*100 = 75.2% of original height for the 1280 width

This a reduction of 100-752 = 24.8%)

I think this should give you what you are looking for.

i.e. A full width clip of 1280 x 542 = AR of 2.36. with just the top of the frame cropped (Covered by the overlay).

Nat

Nat,

for now I found the way to crop exatly size I want without finding manually

I noticed that height of 576 that is EXACTLY 80% of 720 height of the video

To be coorect 10% of 720 is 72 pixel and 576 / 72 = 8 strict

So here is solution

I do not need manually to find crop size, so Y2 is always 90%.

To calculate Y1 that is

1) 1280 / 720 (width of original to width of target) = 1.77777...

2) 304 * 1.7777 (height of target to height of original but target aspect)

3) 540 / 720 (aspected height to original height) = 75%

4) 90% - 75% (here is our Y1 point) = 15%

2m28dtw.png

How it is croppped as I wanted, but export of this file to 720*304 takes not the croped size, but from the center as it I did not croped at all!!

28w1lll.png

I also tried to import transparent PNG with 720*304 size, put it as overlay and crop it to Y1 = 15%, Y2 = 90% but it gives the same result

Here is original mp4 videofile 1280*720 to download from my dropbox

https://www.dropbox....church.mp4?dl=0

and here is mp4 videofile 720*304 cropped as i wanted

https://www.dropbox....rch304.mp4?dl=0

1) first it was croped in Avidemux from 1280x720 to 1280x540

2) using Oxelon media converter it was converted from 1280x540 to 720*304

But it would be much more cool to do it with crop feature in Videopad without use of two extra programs!!

Here is sample video 720*304 where I applied ANIMATED crop

https://www.dropbox.com/s/veqsb0c4eeb92x3/dove.avi?dl=0

crop size is always the same 85%, but it was animated and now you can see that during export Videopad takes only center of original CANVAS and croped frame just WALKS around creating black borders at the top or at the bottom

what would you suggest to CAPTURE this animated crop??

Hi Daorus,

I tried doing the same myself. The only way to get it done is by:

1. Calculate the top%(Y1) and bottom%(Y2) like you already did.
  2. Apply a "Position" effect so the clip is offset vertically by 50% - (Y1 + Y2) / 2. What it does is move the to-be-cropped portion to the center.
  3. Export the clip with 720x304 resolution and select "Crop Edges" while "Aspect Ratio Conflict" dialog pops up.

Please note that no "Crop" effect is need and do not change preview resolution.

I admit this is awkward and just a workaround. We'll work on a better design for cropping.

Best regards,

Hi Daorus,

I tried doing the same myself. The only way to get it done is by:

1. Calculate the top%(Y1) and bottom%(Y2) like you already did.

2. Apply a "Position" effect so the clip is offset vertically by 50% - (Y1 + Y2) / 2. What it does is move the to-be-cropped portion to the center.

3. Export the clip with 720x304 resolution and select "Crop Edges" while "Aspect Ratio Conflict" dialog pops up.

Please note that no "Crop" effect is need and do not change preview resolution.

I admit this is awkward and just a workaround. We'll work on a better design for cropping.

Best regards,

1) Thank you so much, position effect really does the job

2) Your formula on point 2. has error it is not 50% - (Y1 + Y2) / 2

for my case your formula 50% - (90% - 15%) / 2 = 50% - 75% / 2 = 50% - 37.5% = 12.5%

Correct formula for Vertical Offset is the diffrence for shift from center

1) 100% - 90% = 10% * 2 = 20% (for borders from point of placement)

2) 100% - 20% = 80% (working canvas)

3) 80% - 75% = 5% (diffrence between working canvas and target canvas)

4) 5% / 2 = 2.5% (correction offset to place target crop exactly at the center of viewport)

Yes, now it works great!!

But if we would want to animate this crop it gonna be an extreme geek-"adventure" with calculator))))

Anyway, thank you for working solution!!

PS. So, it would be great to improve Force aspect ratio option in Crop filter with ability to set custom aspect ratio, which does Position effect math automatically!!!

Once the calculation for the initial position is done. Animation can be done by just moving the position. Depends on what kind of animation you want to do, you can either:

1. Compute the new position by apply the same calculation.
  2. Directly move the position, say toward upper 10% after 20 seconds.

Either way shouldn't be hard. You can also apply "Crop" effect after "Position" only to preview what you'll get.

Best,

Once the calculation for the initial position is done. Animation can be done by just moving the position. Depends on what kind of animation you want to do, you can either:

1. Compute the new position by apply the same calculation.

2. Directly move the position, say toward upper 10% after 20 seconds.

Either way shouldn't be hard. You can also apply "Crop" effect after "Position" only to preview what you'll get.

Best,

Crop effect does not help us to animate Position effect as we wanted and we use the following solution

1) we created PNG file 1280 x 720 which is 16:9 and at the bottom and at the top we added orange borders with 70 pixels height

2) added on track 2 (as overlay)

3) and now when we move Position effect manually and animate it we always see want will be after export in 720x304 or in 1280x576 (that is 2,35:1 scope format)

2b5jq0.png