Transitions freezes

mx1001

It happens to all versions.

Let say we put clip A and clip B in a sequence . Clips A and B are uncut (no trim) .

Chose whatever transition you prefer (let say Crossfade) and

Put long Duration like 6 secs .

Now watch the transition frame by frame:

- When the transition starts, Clip B is frozen until the middle of the clip ...

- In the middle of transition, Clip A freezes and Clip B starts playing ...

You may say that this happens because videos are uncut, but it's very annoying .

I can't really use any transition if i am not sure the clips are not trimmed . *Even when they are trimmed , they shows scenes I don't want to* . I have to do some assumptions , like if the duration is 1 sec , I have to trim 0,5 secs for each clip :( . Batch assigning transition to all clips have no use .

Actually I prefer not to use transitions at all .

mx1001 wrote:

>- When the transition starts, Clip B is frozen until the middle of the clip ...

- In the middle of transition, Clip A freezes and Clip B starts playing ..."

That is an accurate description of how transitions work. In short transitions it's not a problem. And some other editors tested here handle transitions in the same way.

If clip A has continuing video available after the desired start of the trans and clip B has excess video prior to its marked IN point, you may see better results - or UNwanted video.

For dissolves, work around this by using the opacity feature. Overlap the two clips, each on a separate track. Ramp down the opacity on clip A and ramp it up on clip B ... and A/B roll, in essence that will be very smooth.

If this is the description of a transition , batch assigning transition to all clips have no use .

YES it's also a problem even in very short transitions .

If I have to use tracks for something SO simple it's not Linear Editing ...

I used Pinnacle Studio for 8 years , I also used Ulead Media Studio , Ulead VideoStudio for some time . All of them worked OK

Write now I did the same test with *AVS Video Editor* ... Worked like a charm ...

UNwanted video is displayed only in VP when I trim the clips (so clips continue playing by Duration/2 secs :( ... Clip A beyond the Mark Out and/or Clip B before Mark IN)

Hi

Videopad keeps the total length of the sequence the same when you add a transition. It doesn't "overlap" the ends of the clips like Movie maker does in a crossfade as this would shorten the overall length of clips.

Borate has described a work around for this and here are some details...

Place you first clip on Video track 1 as normal and your second clip on Video track 2 (the overlay track)

Further clips go onto video track 1.

Overlap the ends of the second clip with the ends of the clips on track 1.

The layout is shown here:....

pfrffwp7bh.jpg

The overlay clip is highlighted and that's the one which you will fade in/out

Select this clip and then click the little box marked FX. Choose the Transparency effect,

Slide the red cursor line in the effects window preview to the extreme left and then the slider left to show 0% opacity.Click the green cross to set the keyframe.

Slide the cursor along right a short distance or until the background image changes and then the adjust the slider to read 100% opacity.

Do the same in reverse at the end of the clip. You will have set 4 keyframes.

The blue opacity line will now appear as shown here:.. rising up diagonally to the top of the box, staying horizontal and then diagonally down to the bottom right. (The box reads 100% opacity as I have left the cursor line in the middle of the clip for clarity)

v5zbsh4lj7.jpg

When you now play your sequence the clip on track 2 will fade in and then fade out. There will be no still frames, but the overall sequence will be shorter compared with the normal VP crossfade.

You can adjust the crossfade easily by dragging the keyframe markers along to different positions.

It CAN be used in a batch sense like the normal transitions can, - You save your fade-in/fade-out effect as a preset. Group all your upper clips and apply the preset to all of them.

Nat

Whatever you think is welcome .

Why so much obsession with total time ? In some older LE software it was more obvious that total time will not be the same (you push Clip B in the left part of Clip A) .

Right now I did the test in Ulead Media Studio 8 (discontinued , counts more than 10 years) - Crossfade Worked OK ...

Look how other LE & NLE works . Take a look on AVS (trial) .

Though I have not tested as many editors as you have, I did see the "freeze" behavior in others. Nat's method, simpler than what I suggested, is a way to avoid it in VP.

When clips contain no excess video after or before their respective dissolve points it strikes me that they must freeze in cross mode, as there is no video available to bridge the duration of the transition.

Other editing programs may instead use overlap for transitions. The problem with overlap is that duration is shortened, unlike a cross. If audio is separate, sync can be lost.

Some editors offer a choice - cross or overlap - which would be a nice addition to VP. Here's how an editor that has those options describes it in their HELP file...

· Cross Transition: when using a cross transition, the two clips are side by side on the timeline and the transition acts like a bridge between them. For example, if you add a two second transition between two five second clips, the total duration is 10 seconds. The transition begins at the four second mark of the first clip, and ends at the one second mark of the second clip.

· Overlap Transition: when using an overlap transition, the two clips overlap while the transition is taking place. This allows for parts of the two clips to play over each other during the transition. Using the same example as above, the total duration is eight seconds, with the transition playing for two seconds over both clips.