Gif image problem?

Nationalsolo

Hi

Whilst replying to another post I noticed an unexpected problem.

I had used a third party program (Irfanview) to extract the gif images from an animated gif file in order to reconstruct the animation with VP and check for the presence or not of a black frame at the end of the outputed sequence which was the subject of the post. The black frame was present in the animation and I removed it, renamed the animation and then extracted all the images from the animation.

All the gif images saved as expected to a named folder. Each had been numbered sequentially and had a .gif extension and were labelled as an IrfanView GIF file.

e.g. GIFTEST NOBF_frame_0005.gif (This meant GIFTEST No Black Frame)

I then opened VP (Version 4.00) and dragged the gif images en masse into the media list window.

Here I noticed that they were listed as GIFTEST NOBF_frame_0005.avi and a copy of each (also labelled .avi) had been placed into the saved image location (in this case the desktop)

This rather messed things up a bit

1) Why has the extension been changed from .gif to .avi when copied to the media list?

2) Why has a copy of each .gif file been made in the "Save" location..also as .avi?

Is this a bug please?

Nat

Hi Nat,

VideoPad handles some media formats indirectly. They are converted to avi files. The files are normally in Libraries\Videos.

If you add a gif file to the media list, it will be always be treated as a video file.

To construct a video from image sequences please use File->Add Image Sequence as Video.

Best.

Hi c-major

Thanks for the reply. I will find that a very useful feature. I hadn't used it before. Some of my club Astro presentations require an avi animation instead of an animated gif, particularly as I save most presentations as an .exe file in which animated gif don't play.. Conversion programs I have tried don't work as I wish but this feature is ideal!

Regards

Nat