Transitions for Image at the Start

Aggelos

This is the situation that I am encountering. I am attempting to add in images on different video tracks to overlay over my video. I got a transition that they shatter on disappearing but the jarring they cause by just popping out of nowhere is throwing off my video. How can I get them to fade in and then shatter rather then just pop out of no where before they transition out?

MWibN9K.jpg

Hi Aggelos

Your main video clip goes on Video Track 1

Your Image goes on Video Track 2 as the overlay image.

Click the right hand box on the thumbnail for the overlay image and add the Shatter transition for your designated duration.

Now click the box on the thumbnail marked FX

Choose the Transparency effect. This will show 50% Opacity as a default, and the red cursor line will be at the left end of the box. (If it isn't slide it there.)

Next, slide the Opacity slider to the extreme left (0% Opacity) You will see the blue line in the box move to the bottom.

Click the green cross. This creates a keyframe.

Now move the red cursor line a short distance along on the right. Use the time scale along the top to estimate how long you want to fade-in for.

Next, move the slider to the extreme right (100% Opacity)

The blue line will now be slanting up to the top of the box. This represents a fade-in from 0% opacity to 100% opacity in the time indicated on the scale at the top of the box.

Moving the cursor along a little will show you that you have now got two keyframes marked by the small blue squares fixed to the blue line.

Click the Apply button.

When you now play the sequence you will see your overlay image fade-in and end with the Shatter effect.. Which I think is what you want.

If the fade-in is too short or too long simply click the FX box again to open up the effects window and alter the position of the upper marker by dragging it left or right to lengthen of shorten the fade-in. Keep it at the top to maintain 100% opacity.

The blue line should start bottom left, rise diagonally to the top and then remain horizontal to the end of the clip.

Note: You can equally apply more keyframes at other points of the blue line to create changes in transparency during the time the clip is played or to create a fade-out etc.

The effects can be applied and varied in a similar fashion to clips as well as overlays.

Nat

• 11 months later...

Hi Nat,

I found this thread while looking for ways to set an effect at the start of an image. In April you mentioned that this was planned for the subsequent version. I'm using the workaround you suggested in the meantime, but is there an expected date for including this feature? I'm running v4.33 and couldn't find this functionality.

Thanks!

Hi

You can visualise your fade in-Fade out...

Click the "FX" button on the thumbnail followed by the green plus.

Choose "Transparency"

Click the "Default preset" and select "Fade in and Fade out" This should show the straight line up and down transparency level graph.

Now grab the graph line a little bit after the start and drag it up to the top.

Do the same at a point a little bit before the end of the clip.

The graph line should now display a smooth curve rising up to the top--remaining steady and then descending again before the end of the clip.

By moving the points you have created to the right or left you can vary the degree of fade in or fade out.

Nat