VPJ files saved with VideoPad 2.x can't be edited with 3.89

tagada

Hi everyone,

I would like to re-edit and recompile my slightly older projects. I had VideoPad 2.41 (I believe) at that time. Now, I have 3.89 installed, and when I open the VPJ file, the video only plays: the audio soundtrack is empty, for both audio files and the audio of video files (btw, my sources files have not moved).

I cannot even reinstall an older version of VideoPad since I am now on Win8.1, and older versions won't install. Thus, how can I recover my former VPJ files? They have lots of worked hours in them.

Thanks,

j.

Hi

The other problem that you may have, is that even if you had the earlier version of VP you would also have to have all the original video clips in the same folders as before so that the .vpj file could reconfigure your video. Borate's suggestion is all you can do on the face of it, but the problems above would still apply.

If it's just a matter of re-editing your film probably the best way to go is to load the finished version you have to the latest VP and then use your original clips again to do a re-edit.

Nat

There is a way to install and run v2.41 on WIndows 8.1:

In windows explorer, right click on the setup executable (e.g. videopadsetup_v2.41.exe), select Properties->Compatibility tab. In Compatibility mode, check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and then select Windows 7 at the pull down list below the check box.

Run the exe now and VideoPad will be installed. You will need to also set the compatibility mode to windows 7 for videopad.exe too. It can be found at the application folder(C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\VideoPad) .

Best regards.

Hi borate, nationsolo,

My folders have not changed, as I keep all my "input" files and folders as is on external drives, in case I need to re-edit them. The messed up video and audio tracks by 3.89 which is definitely not compatible with 2.41-created VPJ files don't make it realistic to re-edit them, as it'd take as much time as starting from scratch.

Thanks c_major, that's right. What I have done: extract the files from the 2.41 exe installer (7zip can do that) until the last .exe one. Then, as you say, run in compatibility mode for both the install and the main program file. I was very happy that this works!

By the way, it made me notice the huge improvements since 2.41: for the same machine, the files load much faster, for the same codecs it seems to export faster too, and many annoying bugs (like unlinked audio clips moving 100 ms right every time I left click on them) have left space for new functionalities. Keep up the good work.

j.