Reversing issue

segue1234

Hi

I hope I can explain my issue clearly...

I want to reverse a split clip within the timeline. I have a 3 minute long video, which I split at about 5 seconds in - I then duplicated it 2 times. The 2 splits play the 5 seconds exactly as in the first clip, but, as soon as I set "reverse clip" on the middle of the 3, it plays from the the end of the video in reverse (5 seconds in from the end i.e. from about 2:55). Why is it not playing my reversed split clip? It seems to be taking the info from the entire video, even though my split is from the start......

In my older version of Vidoepad, this was done easily and exactly how I expected, in that it reversed the clip I selected and played that 5 second sequence in reverse - now I am using version 3.89 and it has gone pear shaped....

Am I missing something? I have looked through the options, and looked through this forum but I cannot see any help....

Can anyone please help?

Version 3.89

Window 7 64-bit.

Thanks!

Hi

It's not quite clear from your description what you have exactly done.

"I have a 3 minute long video, which I split at about 5 seconds in -"........OK.... split bit - rest

"I then duplicated it 2 times."

How are you duplicating and are you duplicating the whole of the split clip twice? (i.e. split bit - rest - split bit - rest -split bit - rest....which would make the timeline 9 mins)

or just the first 5 second portion-

split bit - split bit - split bit - rest

Assuming one of these is right, which bit is set to reverse?

I would like to test it out but am not clear on what you have on the timeline.

So far all the splits and reverses I have tried seem to work correctly with 3.89

There was a problem with an earlier version where the fade points used in the clip didn't start and finish properly as it seemed that VP forgot to calculate the position relative to the point selected and instead used the end of the clip, perhaps this is similar??.

Nat

I am having a similar problem. In a 4 minute video, I've been trying to break it down into smaller pieces that i can play in reverse. I've isolated the clip i want and inserted into my project where i want it. for this example I'll say i duplicated a 5 second clip 4 times. No problem. When I try to reverse every other one, the ones i've chosen to reverse just play a completely different part of the video instead of what it should be. so 5 seconds of something i haven't done any editing on.

UPDATED ++++

Tested with a countdown clock, this feature is misbehaving as others describe.

In trying to recreate your scenario, I duplicated a four-second clip five times.

In clips 1, 3 and 5 I right-clicked|SPEED and check marked the "reverse" box.

Those clips played in reverse, the others played normally.

Is this what you attempted?

That didn't work. I should also note that if i add an effect to the clip before i reverse it, it will reverse. no effect, drops in the random different clip.

AND actually if i add the effect AFTER, it switches back to playing the right clip in reverse with the effect. So strange!

HI

Version 3.89

Added a short clip to the timeline 6 times. Reversed clip2, clip4 and clip6.

Everthing played as expected.

Added zoom effect to clip3 (a normal clip).

Everything played as expected.

Added a zoom effect to the reversed clip4.

Added zoom effect to the normal clip5 and then reversed clip5

This time I previewed the clip in the preview window and split off a section with the IN/OUT markers, using the green arrow to drop the selection onto the timeline. I reclicked the clip in the media list and repeated the procedure. I did this 6 times to give 6 identical sections of the same clip on the timeline.

I reversed every other one.

The whole timeline played correctly.

So far I have not been able to reproduce your fault. :-(

How have you duplicated your clip?

What effect did you add to your clip that did not play when the clip was reversed?

Nat

Hi,

I did some testing for reversing a split clip. It seems there is something wrong:

For example, I split the clip into 3 equal parts - 1, 2, 3. When I reverse the part 3, instead of seeing part 3 in reverse, I saw part 1 reversed in the third clip.

I think this is a bug and should be fixed.

Thanks everyone reporting and trying to solved the problem.

HI

Version 3.89

My first impression was that things were working OK but I was using a clip with little movement but having changed to a clip with a lot of right to left motion...

Yes.....It's the last clip split off that, when reversed is changed to the first clip reversed. :(

The thumnails also revert to the first clip thumbnails.

How much of the first clip is seen depends on the duration of the actual last clip.

However, whilst looking for a possible workaround I found the reversing option seems to be quite messed up....viz...

e.g. with a clip split into 5 clips...

If you reverse the first clip it becomes the last clip! (limited by duration)

Reverse the second clip it becomes the last clip! (length, again dependant)

Reverse the third clip it becomes the last clip!

Reverse the fourth clip it reverts to the second clp

Reverse the last clip and it becomes the first clip.

Same thing if you reverse clips in storyboard mode.

Preview a clip from the media list and trim a bit from the start with the IN/OUT markers and the green arrow and it still reverses to a section from the end of the original clip.

It's a bit of a mess and needs looking at

One workaround is to add the whole clip to the timeline and reverse it.

Split the reversed clip where you want the reverse to finish and delete the remainder leaving your reversed clip. Now re-add the full clip again and repeat where needed. Your reversed selections should stay reversed.

Nat

Nat's analyse is correctly.

Another workaround before we release the fix of this problem:

Put the split clip into a separated new sequence, add the new sequence into your working sequence as a clip and then reverse it. It will work as expected.