Does exporting a video twice decrease quality?

Imagine Wizard

If I import a video into VideoPad, export it, import the exported video back into VideoPad and then export it again, will the final video have less quality (or be lesser in anyway) to if I only exported it once?

Thanks

(In case I need to clarify why I would do this - if I have a separate video and audio file, I'd use the first export to group them together, meaning I could then edit it without having to worry about accidentally unsynicing my files)

Hi

I haven't noticed anything particularly different between the versions saved when I do this, but why not do it and see? Try it with a smaller video clip and do it multiple times. Its your opinion that counts. Just keep your original project .vpj file before you start so you can go back to square one.

Why not post what you find back here?

Nat

• 2 weeks later...
Why not simply place those A/V files in their own sequence, which can later be merged into other sequences? To create a new sequence click the + sign to the right of "sequence" - just above the timeline at the left.

I don't understand? Please elucidate.

Hi I haven't noticed anything particularly different between the versions saved when I do this, but why not do it and see? Try it with a smaller video clip and do it multiple times. Its your opinion that counts. Just keep your original project .vpj file before you start so you can go back to square one. Why not post what you find back here? Nat

Is there a way I could compare the quality in an objective way that doesn't rely on my own eyesight and ability to spot minute detail (as good as they usually are)?

Hi,

All video encoding methods using in codecs are lossy, which means the quality will drop no matter what settings you chosen while encoding. Although some codec produce result that without noticeable quality dropping with proper settings.

Encoding will happens when you generating a video file. To avoid exporting a VideoPad project more then once, you can make each pass in to a separated Sequence.

For example, you have two VideoPad Projects, and you want to export project 1 into a video clip and then use the clip in project 2 and then export project 2 into a video file. The better way to do this is: make project 1 in to a Sequence in project 2, we only export project 2 so the encoding only be performed once.

VideoPad allow multiple Sequences in one project. You can add a new Sequence from main menu "Sequence"->"New Sequence" or press "+" on the sequence tab. The latest version will also allow you to import and existing project as a Sequence into another project from menu "Clip"->"Import clips form another project". This a new feature and we still working on it. Please check out later versions for changes and fixes.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best regards.