What am I missing in sequence selection?

Jayhawk

I put a clip in the clip in the "video files" area and select it, which places it in the "clip preview" window. I select a portion of it by clicking the "begin" and "end" positions, then click the "down" botton to place it in the timeline. So far, so good.

Now I want to select a different portion of the same clip to add to the timeline, but I cannot select a different beginning or ending position. The impression is that I can only select one portion of a video file, which makes no sense.

How, having selected one portion of a video for my timeline, do I then proceed to select a different portion and add it to the timeline as well?

Now I want to select a different portion of the same clip to add to the timeline, but I cannot select a different beginning or ending position.

How, having selected one portion of a video for my timeline, do I then proceed to select a different portion and add it to the timeline as well?

Click on the clip (top left) again, and the green "down" arrow will reappear.

Mark the INS and OUTS, click the arrow and, depending upon the option you chose you may be prompted where to drop the clip segment.

When I click on the clip the down arrow does reappear, but it does not allow me to select another sequence with different begin and end points. If I select a begin piont which is later than the end of the initial sequence the red begin button reamins greyed out and inactive. The only thing it will let me do is adjust the beginning and ending points of the initial sequence. Somehow it seems that initial sequence needs to be "deselected" so that other sequences can be created, but I see no way to do that.

Update: Okay, I got it. One needs tto move the end point first, and then the begin point, so that the begin point is being selected at a time earlier than the end, even though you're starting a new sequence. Selecting the end before the beginning is not very intuitive, but it makes sense from a computed calculating standpoint.

Hi

As ypou say....

Click the file in the media list window and it will appear in the CLIP PREVIEW PANE.

Now set the IN/OUT points followed by the GREEN DOWN ARROW.

This places the selected area of the clip between the IN/OUT points onto the timeline.

The Clip preview pane changes to the Sequence preview pane. (In version 3.79)

You cannot now select another part of the clip on display as the Green arrow has disappeared (as you are displaying the Sequence preview pane.

So..To add further selections from the clip... Click the clip once more in the Media list and the CLIP PREVIEW PANE will reappear exactly as it did at the start. The only difference now is that the IN/OUT pointers are still where you left them. ***

Slide the markers to isolate a new section of the clip and click the GREEN DOWN ARROW again to add the new selected area to the timeline.

*** You could click the Green Down Arrow immediately to add the same slice of clip to the sequence and repeat the above steps as many times as you wish. So you could show (for example) a dog seemingly repeatingly bouncing a ball on its nose....you get the idea.

Note: For any selection, the IN marker (Red) must be to the left of the OUT marker (Blue)...You can't finish the selection before you have started it. :-)

If VP does not behave as described....you should be able to move the IN/OUT markers to any new position irrespective of the place they reappear at when the clip is reselected... then there would appear to be something wrong.

Nat