videopad only using 5-10 % of cpu power?

overseer74

Hi i downloaded Videopad to try it out since i need a video editor that can be used quick and simple for youtube clips and such, and i find all the features quite good but after trying it on my workstation were it only used 5-10% of the cpu power i tried to run a render on my render machine with :

Xeon e5520 "2.27 ghz x 2 (thats 16 threads)

64 gd ecc ddr 3

And still it only uses 5-10% of the systems total cpu power!!!!! granted its faster on the render machine then on the workstation but not utilizing 90-95% of the systems performance seems wrong.

Is this a limitation for the free version or is videopad not optimized for multicore/multi cpu systems?

I would really like to know if i should buy this software or not but if i does not utilize the full power of the systems i really dont have any use for it.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

A recent, perhaps relevant statement in this forum was posted by a member of the NCH Videopad tech team...

"I use an FX-8320 at home and VideoPad does use all eight cores while editing but for exporting it will depend on the codec you're using. When exporting to H.264 it should use all of them."

well since i am exporting to h.264 mp4 for some youtube stuff that does not seem to be the case, maxes out on 10% on export.

will check on edit but there i dont really care since i use lightworks for heavier editing, was just thinking of getting videopad for quick and easy youtube stuff but 8 hour render on 1.5 hour clip on dual Xeons is not good.

Nick

Hi,

We've just added lossless transcoding in the latest version. This feature is designed for exporting h.264 clips with minimal editing. Sections without effects and transitions will be exported much faster. This might be what you wanted.

You can find and enable this feature in: Video Options->Export->Other->Enable lossless video exporting.

On the other hand, VideoPad does support multi-core on exporting. I just tried exporting a few projects and it was utilizing 100% of the CPU (i7 4 cores, 8 logical processors). I'm not sure how it works under Xeon though.

Best regards.