Recording to PC from Elec. Keyboard

Fargol

My question is incredibly basic and possibly stupid - How do I record something I play on my keyboard into MixPad.

I have a Korg SP-280 keyboard and a USB Midi cable. I've attached the cable to the IN and OUT ports on the keyboard, and then into a USB port on my desktop. MixPad appears to recognize it (it shows as "USB2.0-MIDI" in the File -> Options -> Midi Controller tab).

Under Audio Options I assume I need to check "Recording Using a Midi Device", and in the dropdown I selected the aforementioned USB2.0-MIDI choice. I've Enabled recording on Track 1.

When I click the "Record" button I get a popup saying (paraphrased) that for Track 0 I chose USB2.0-MIDI but I've configured it as a Hardware Controller, and suggests I disable that. So I do that (under File -> Options -> Midi Controller tab I unchecked "Enable MIDI Hardware Control". Then when I click the Record button, absolutely nothing happens. No errors, no warnings, and no recording is going on.

If I select as the recording device the microphone on my webcam, it records fine but of course I'd prefer the Korg.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• 3 months later...

Hi Fargol,

When you are recording from MIDI devices, the MixPad interface will only update when it receives MIDI messages. This means that you will only see the audio clip start to record once you start pressing keys on your Korg.

Also, when you set the track to record MIDI input, there should be two small boxes which appear in the track control area to the left of the track. These are indicator lights which show whether or not MixPad is receiving/sending MIDI events.

Let me know how this goes.

Regards,

Ben