Format is not supported by Express Scribe

Cooncatz

Okay, got a new pc few weeks ago, WIN 7, installed current version of ES (free). Worked fine at first but now I get "Format is not supported." I have been using one version or another of ES for 10 years all with DSS files. I know in the past I needed a patch but see nothing in my searches for that. Why all of a sudden does it refuse to load? I wanted to roll back to an older version, but there seems to be none for WIN 7.

I use this for work so I need a fix! TIA!

• 2 weeks later...

Since I cannot find how to post a new Q, can I ask if the same question above in regards to WAV files? To back track, I had to get ES on new PC win 7. After the free trial, everything stopped that I used to do. Heck, my PC cant even find my footpedal anymore even if I try a different program altogether and I had used it with ES free trial! This is really frustrating. It seems that ES messes stuff up even if not used.

TIA!

• 2 months later...

Just purchased Express Scribe Pro because it supposedly supports DSS files. I have repeatedly tried to open a DS2 file and get the message that that format is not supported. So is a DS2 file not in the same class as DSS files? Or is there something I'm not doing correctly? I need to be able to open this and other files for my work as a transcriptionist. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/kb/1444.html

Version 5.30 of Express Scribe and Express Dictate version 5.41 now support DS2 file format. Now Olympus PRO and Philips PRO (and any other) recorders or devices using this format can be read through Express Dictate and Express Scribe.

How do you "support DS2 file format" and ask to convert the files to dss at the same time? No wonder customers buy your product expecting the software to support the format.

Hallo N_C_H_joshb,

If the files must be sent to you in DS2 format, you can convert those to a more manageable format using our Switch Audio File Converter Software: http://www.nch.com.a...itch/index.html

Are you sure that Switch can convert ds2 files correctly?

In 2012 as I found out that Express Scribe Pro doesn't support DS2 files correctly (see http://nch.invisionz...ting-ds2-files/) I have tried to use Switch to convert the ds2 files to wav and Switch also does not convert the ds2 files correctly. This was version 4.28 of Switch.

In this way I have tested:

1. I take such a ds2 file, which Express Scribe begins to play and stops at a fix time.

2. I have converted the same ds2 file with Switch 4.28.

3. Than I load the converted wav file to Express Scribe. --> Express Scribe begins to play the file and stops at the same time. (For details see my above linked thread.)

That's why I have not bought Switch because Switch can not convert ds2 to wav correctly.

In 2012 and later I had found as a workaround the dss2wav converter. Unfortunately, the site pcdictate.com is not more available so the license for this tool can not be prolonged.

Now, there is a big corner on the market to convert ds2 to wav correctly. I have googled for hours an hours to find a tool that converts ds2 to wav. I have not found any tool that works correctly.

So I had to use the Olympus DSS Player Standard V 1 to convert ds2 to wav. But if I have to buy the Olympus DSS Player Standard then I can use it also for transcribing.

That's why my question: Are you sure that Switch now can convert ds2 to wav correctly? So that I can use Express Scribe Pro also in the future?

Greatings

Lisa

Hallo N_C_H_joshb,

here I am now. I have just downloaded Switch 4.79 and tried to convert 3 such "bad" ds2 files to wav.

And the result is: Also Switch 4.79 does not convert ds2 files correctly to wav.

Switch convertes the files. But by playing the converted file it stops playing at the same time like Express Scribe Pro.

Now I had a look at the Switch site. There is explicitly mentioned that Switch supports the ds2 format, see: http://www.nch.com.a...ch/kb/1405.html

But this is not true. Switch also can not convert these files correctly.

Can you explain your answer and give me any tip how I can convert ds2 files correctly?

These are the facts:

1. Express Scribe Pro is a very good software.

2. Every transcriptionist on the world gets ds2 files from his clients.

3. On the whole market there is no tool to convert ds2 files to wav or mp3.

Other transcribing software are playing ds2 files of course. So there is no reason to use Express Scribe Pro because it can not play ds2 files. It is a nice program but it cannot play ds2 files. Also Switch cannot convert ds2 files! So it is unfortunately useless for professional use.

Please give me the reason to use Express Scribe Pro!

With best regards,

Lisa