Overlay track in version 3.79

StephQ09

Hi,

I am using a non commercial version of Videopad 3.79, and I can't find where the overlay track is. I have seen tutorials on how to add an overlay track by putting a clip onto an overlay track and another on a usual track, but I can't even find the 'Overlay Track'! Its not on the bottom left hand corner, in my window on the bottom left hand corner are only 2 types of tracks, an audio and a video. No 'overlay track' like in the tutorials. Under the heading Track (between 'Clip' and 'Sequence') there are no such things either, only Solo, lock etc.

Also, I was thinking maybe the version changed so that's why. I thought maybe its now called "Paste (overlay)" but its not. I try to click on a clip then right click in the track and select "Paste (overlay)" but it doesn't have the desired effect. What is the difference between "Paste (overlay)", "Paste (overwrite)" and "Paste (insert)"?

Thanks

Hi

The overlay track is the grey area directly above Video Track 1.

If you have no clips on the sequence track it is not labelled or visible.

Drop or place a clip into Video Track 1 and you will see a line of text appear..

"Drag or drop your video, text or image clips here to overlay"

When you now drag or place a clip here it will "overlay" (play over) the clip on the main Video Track 1. and will appear labelled as "Video Track 2" and its associated sound track will appear below Audio Track 1 labelled "Audio Track 2"

You can add numerous tracks in this way, each appearing stacked above the other and taking precedence over the lower tracks.

Nat

I know that if I add more clips it will be track 1, 2 etc..

What I am looking for is the "overlay track" so I can make one video play within another. Also "overlay track" does not appear in the grey area above the "track one" in my window.

Yes Steph, it can be confusing. As Nat noted, every track overlays the track or tracks below it. But the word "overlay" is no longer seen in the latest VP versions.

Try this...

Place an image on track one. Place another just above it on track two. Select that image and click the yellow star at the left of its thumbnail in the timeline, or click

VIDEO EFFECTS on the menu bar.

Now choose the SCALE effect. Drag the dotted boxes that you see on the image so that the pic becomes smaller, or move the sliders at the top-left.

You should see the image on track one in the background. Thus, you are overlaying track one with track two. If you added a track three, it would overlay tracks 1 & 2.

overlay.jpg

Hi Steph

With no clip added to the timeline there is no label relating to the overlay track. The overlay tracks are Video Track 2 and up.

As soon as you add a clip to the main sequence track...Video Track 1 you will see a prompt appear regarding the adding of overlays.as shown here... (It doesn't appear earlier as there is no clip to overlay until you add one.) <_<

l104d79ku3.jpg

Once you drop a subsequent clip to the area indicated it becomes Video Track 2 (as shown below) and overlays (plays over) anything on Video Track 1 and consequently hides it. If, however you make this clip smaller as Borate mentions then some of the underlying clip on Video Track 1 will be visible and both will play together. They must, of course be vertically aligned on the tracks.

Note that above video Track 2 the prompt reappears in the grey area again... and you can continue to add further overlays. (Video Track 3 etc.)

mf25vkcfto.jpg

As well as allowing several clips to play together in the same frame, the overlay tracks can also be used to edit the clips on lower tracks without having to chop the soundtrack about. i.e. you can use the overlay track to insert Cut-aways. etc. Note these images were produced from Version 3.85 (latest) but 3.79 is no different in this respect.

Nat