Invoice Numbering Per Customer

ndewhurst

I understand the utility of having a globally unique, sequential invoice number for each invoice in the database. However, I do not want to display that sort of number on the printed invoices I send to customers. Rather, I want to display an invoice number that is relevant to each customer and unaffected by invoices sent to other customers. E.g. If I have sent two invoices to Customer A, and then send an invoice to Customer B, the invoice number on Customer B's invoice should be "1" or "00001" or "BB-B/001," but should not be "3." Then, if I send another invoice to Customer A, its number should be "3" (or "00003" or "AA-A/003, etc. depending on prefixing and other settings). Ideally, there would be custom prefixing, leading zeros, and other pattern configuration *per customer* if desired. However, the most important feature I'm requesting (or hoping to find buried in the existing software) is the ability to display a customer-specific invoice number on each invoice.

To my knowledge, there is no automated way to accomplish what you want.

You can manually give an invoice any number you want. You may run into a difficulty if you use the same number with a different prefix because EI might think you're assigning an invoice number that has already been used. You can try it and see if it will do it. You can make customized prefixes to use as needed. EI may be okay with you using the same invoice number if you use different prefixes. You would also have to track for yourself what number invoice the particular customer is on since EI remembers the last number you used and automatically gives you the next number.

You can also place a comment as the first item entry that lists the number of orders the customer is on. Or you could put it in the purchase order number section.

Teri

N_C_H_joshb,

I could have sworn there was a field in the preferences (options) section to address invoice numbering but am not finding it now. I'm on a Mac, version 3.99. I don't need to change it, but it's bugging me now!

Teri

• 5 years later...