Invoice and Inventoria

samsonleather

I am having issues, anytime I create an invoice, it does not take the items out of inventoria, but instead ADDS another identical item and makes the stock negative. for instance, item number 123 will have 12 in stock. Create an invoice and now I have 2 item number 123, one with 12 one with -6. Any suggestions?? I am running the most UTD software and it is syncing.

Hi there,

I stopped using Inventoria last June and am just using Express Invoice now. I track my inventory using another method now. But here's what I remember from it. I'm using 3.99 on a Mac 10.9.5.

In your Express Invoice preferences, I assume you've gone into the OTHER section, then INVENTORIA SYNCHRONIZATION SETTINGS, and allowed Express Invoice to sync with Inventoria? As a side note, when I would add a new item in Inventoria, before using Express Invoice I would tell it to UPDATE NOW in this particular dialogue box, especially if I had just created it.

Then in the Express Invoice preferences, OTHER section, ADVANCED SETTINGS, have you told it to allow Express Invoice to update stock levels in Inventoria when invoices are generated?

Go to the menu bar of Express Invoice and select the INVOICES drop down. Then open your ITEMS LIST. (This can be done with command + T on a Mac. I assume there's a shortcut for Windows also.) Open up item 123 and select the INVENTORY tab. You don't want Express Invoice to manage your stock levels if Inventoria is doing it also.

In Inventoria, go to your preferences. Select OTHER, then ADVANCED SETTINGS. Have you checked the box to allow Express Invoice to sync with Inventoria?

Did you migrate your items from Inventoria to Express Invoice? This is found on the menu bar of Express Invoice under INVOICES. Select MIGRATE INVENTORIA ITEMS TO EXPRESS INVOICE.

Is it possible that it's a problem with locations in Inventoria? You have to select a location to which Express Invoice can sync. While viewing item 123 in Inventoria, is one location saying 12 and another -6? This may make it appear as if you have 2 item number 123's, when in reality you don't, you have 2 locations for this item. For example, we have several different places from where we might sell our stock. Because Express Invoice couldn't sync with all the locations, I created a location called "Sales" for synchronization purposes. When we had a sale we would have to go into Inventoria and do a transfer from the actual location to the Sales location to make it balance properly.

Hope this helps!

Teri

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar problem, but I am using Express Accounting, I am a IT person so I think this accounting math is a bit strange. I create a purchase order, pay for it, the bank account go down by the correct amount, both sides seem to balance but the Inventory in Inventoria gets negative quantities for the items purchase. What am I doing wrong?

Gunner

Hi Gunner,

It sounds like a location problem. Do you have more than one location set up in Inventoria? If so, you have to tell EI or EA which location to sync. And it can only be one. This could create negative amounts in the Inventoria location. We had to play with Inventoria and be a little creative because we do have several different locations for our products. So we created the "Sales" location. Thought of like a basket, we had to take from the other baskets and put into the Sales basket when we made a sale, otherwise the Sales basket would show a negative balance.

Have you told EI not to manage your inventory? This might create your problem also.

We found that Inventoria could take a day or more (sometimes a week!) to synchronize - one reason we discontinued using it.

Teri

Hi Teri,

I have EI (Trial Windows) but EA (Full) does allow you to force an update but I did notice that after completing transaction an update was sent to inventoria (Full), realtime. The only problem is I still get negative inventory. It looks like inventory is managed by Inventoria. I am not sure if I am entering things correctly or if EA and/or Inventoria is broken. This accounting and the way accounts are credit and debit sometimes seems backwards. Am I creditting or debitting the right account. Express Accounting and Inventoria should have better tutorial because they are probably purchase by who have business but have little knowledge of accounting. I am thinking of dropping EA

Gunner

I tried EA also and found it too confusing with no tutorials. Then we went to EI and Inventoria. Now just EI. It seems to be very reliable. It can manage inventory for you, but not as comprehensively as Inventoria. I created a set of automated spreadsheets in Excel to manage our inventory. They can't sync with EI, but we're willing to live with that for now.

Because I don't use EA, I can't really help you on that end.

I'm trying to think why Inventoria would be negative. Can you see what it's done? Is it starting out with not enough inventory to cover the sale? Is it deducting it twice?

My inventoria list might look like this:

Item #1 / It's description / category #1 / Location - East Warehouse / Cost / Price / Quantity = 43,785 / Measure

Item #1 / Same item as above / category #1 / Location - West Warehouse / Cost / Price / Quantity = 32,005 / Measure

Item #1 / Same item as above / Category #1 / Location - Sales / Cost / Price / Quantity = -8,000 / Measure

This is the same item, but it has 2 physical locations plus a 3rd location I named "Sales." EI synced with the Sales location and took the sales from there, even though we made the sale from the West Warehouse. I would have to make a digital transfer in Inventoria of 8,000 of that item from the West Warehouse to Sales to make Sales be 0 again and to get the 8,000 from the proper place. In the above example, I actually have 67,880 of the item (43,875 + 32,005 - 8,000).

Teri

Hi Teri,

Sorry, for being a bit vague in my description, I am trying to load in the initial inventory through purchase orders, accounts payable and the payment. This process should load the numbers from the initial purchase orders into Inventoria, which it does but all negatives.

I purchased Express Invoices today, I actually wanted the Inventory and the Invoice components, the accounting stuff was to be a bonus but it seems to be more of a problem than a bonus.

Gunner

It does sound like EA was doing it backwards somehow. It would be interesting to know if it's different for you when you don't use EA. When we started we just entered the beginning inventory amount for each item into Inventoria, then moved on from there as needed with purchase orders and sales.

Unless - with purchase orders you need to receive them. Was that step done? If you don't receive them they won't show in your inventory. Then when you do a sale it would be a negative amount.

Teri

Thanks for the help Teri,I think I may have figured it out, I have to try another PO make sure it is working. It had to do with the order I did things in.

As for the updating across EA, EI and Inventoria, it appears as if with any new object such as an item, supplier, customer, etc, a new file is created on disk in their corresponding directories. I might be able to reverse engineer the file structures, and monitor all the directories for changes. So if there are any new, modified or deleted objects in one applications, I could have my monitoring application update the object in the other two applications. For this to work, EA, EI and Inventoria would have to run on one computer, and it would be Windows, sorry I know that you use Apple.

Gunner

• 4 years later...

i am using express invocing and today i have installed inventoria. in the inventory it is not showing the old invoices issued. only showing the invoices issued from the date i installed inventoria.

how can i sync the old invoices issued on inventory

You may want to know that using Inventoria as the server program, you can update Inventoria's inventory levels from other programs like Express Invoice. That is the only thing you can sync, inventory levels. It will not sync invoices.